Harrison: We Must Capitalise In Big Moments

Jack Harrison felt the small margins proved the difference in denying Everton an impressive victory over Manchester City on the way to a 3-1 defeat at Goodison Park.

Former City forward Harrison gave Sean Dyche’s side the lead inside 29 minutes with a smart finish from Dwight McNeil's cross to see the Blues go into the interval ahead.

However, three second-half goals from the recently-crowned Club World Cup champions - including a debatable penalty for a handball on Amadou Onana - meant Everton were left empty-handed.

Harrison believed there were elements of the Everton performance the squad can be proud of, but admitted there is no margin for error against top-quality teams like Pep Guardiola's defending champions.

“I thought we started the first half really well,” said the on-loan winger. “We were really organised, they’re a great side with a lot of talent, so to maintain that for 90 minutes is always difficult.

“Unfortunately, today we slipped up on a couple of things and it was costly against the best side [in the league].

“It’s something we have to be aware of going forward.

“Like I say, we started the game well and to maintain that for 90 minutes is always a goal of ours. We didn’t do that today, so on that side of things we can definitely improve, and we will be looking to do that going into the weekend.”

Ten minutes after Phil Foden’s long-range strike brought City level, the visitors were awarded a spot-kick as the ball hit Onana from point-blank range.

Speaking on the decision, Harrison said: “I haven’t seen it back, everything happened so quick in the game. They (the match officials) have all the technology these days to make the right decision.

“It happened, we tried to bounce back but unfortunately, we were unable to do so.”

Everton sought an equaliser of their own and came close to being back level on 75 minutes.

Harrison found substitute Dominic Calvert-Lewin inside the area but his finish arrived just wide of the near post.

Reflecting on the opportunity, Harrison felt he could have done more to aid his teammate.

“We spoke about it after the game,” he continued. “I could have done something a bit better on the cross, I think.

“It’s a bit unfortunate but these are big moments in the game that we need to capitalise on moving forward and we didn’t do our best to do that."

Looking ahead to Saturday's trip to Wolverhampton Wanderers, Harrison added: "There’s still a lot of the season [left to play].

“We can only control what we can do. We have to keep going game by game.

“We have another great opportunity this weekend to try to get some points back, so everyone is going to rest and recover and be ready for that next game.”