Blues Beaten By Chelsea

Everton suffered defeat on Sunday at the hands of the reigning Women's Super League champions, Chelsea, as the hosts were beaten 3-0.

It was a spirited performance from Brian Sorensen's side who looked to make amends after their League Cup defeat midweek.

While the hosts went toe-to-toe in large spells against one of the top-flight's best, the challenge proved too tough as Emma Hayes side ran out winners. 

Boss Sorensen made seven changes from the midweek. Courtney Brosnan, Megan Finnigan, Katrine Veje, Sara Holmgaard, Karen Holmgaard, Martina Piemonte and Heather Payne all returning to the starting eleven.

Everton started the game positively when Payne tested Ann-Katrin Berger when a powerful shot towards the far-post brought a save out of the Chelsea stopper. 

Despite an even first quarter, Chelsea took the lead on 14 minutes.

Everton failed to clear Sam Kerr’s cushioned header as Jessie Fleming converted with an astute volley past the helpless Brosnan to give Chelsea an early advantage.

Soon after, Erin Cuthbert's shot from the edge of the area drew a save from Brosnan, who pushed over the bar. 

The Toffees' registered another promising opportunity on 30 minutes when Payne cut the ball back across the penalty box into the path of Justine Vanhaevermaet whose first-time effort was saved by Berger.

Everton nearly had their reward for their positive play when Piemonte dispossessed Millie Bright, her resulting effort on goal was saved by the German goalkeeper.

The hosts continued to ask questions of the visitors when Piemonte tried an acrobatic effort amongst a flurry of attempts from the Walton Hall Park side.

Everton thought they had their equaliser moments before the half-time whistle.

Brilliant hold-up play from Piemonte allowed the Italian to send the ball into the path of Payne down the right. She found Sara Holmgaard whose shot was heroically saved by the Chelsea goalkeeper. Vanhaevermaet tapped home the rebound but the flag was raised for offside.

The scoreline did not tell the story of the first half, with the Blues taking the game to Chelsea for much of the first period.

However, the reigning champions began to show why they were worthy of that title as they took hold of the game.

Cuthbert enjoyed an opportunity from range early in the second period. Her effort crashing off the crossbar.

Chelsea's dominance continued, doubling their lead on 62 minutes. Johanna Rytting-Kaneryd cross finished first-time by Sam Kerr. 

Hayes' side wrapped up the three points with a third on 90 minutes.

Former Everton loanee, Aggie Beever-Jones cutting in on the right side and finishing high into the far top corner.

Everton return to Walton Hall Park next weekend to welcome Bristol City.