Magill's Cool Finish Earns Win On The Road

Simone Magill scored late for a second week running as Everton Women picked up all three points away to Leicester City at the Pirelli Stadium.

It was manager Jean-Luc Vasseur's first win in the Barclays FA Women's Super League, having beat Sunday's hosts three weeks prior in the Continental Cup.

Both sides were unchanged from their last match, with Everton looking to build on last week’s 1-1 draw with Manchester United.

The first big chance of the match fell to Toni Duggan, who failed to convert Claire Emslie’s low cross from close range.

Esmee de Graaf had a decent chance to give the Foxes the lead, but could not direct her header past Sandy MacIver.

Vasseur’s side had a penalty shout denied, after Emslie’s cross appeared to strike Ashleigh Plumtre’s arm, but referee Lucy May waved play on.

Leicester then had their own spot kick appeals turned down, after Jessica Sigsworth went down in the box following a challenge from Rikke Sevecke.

On the stroke of half time, the Toffees had another great chance on goal, with Lucy Graham sending Kenza Dali on her way down the left flank, but an excellent stop from Demi Lambourne ensured the match would go into half-time goalless.

Ten minutes into the second half and Everton had another golden chance to grab the opening goal.

Dali once more found herself in space in a wide position and pulled back to Valerie Gauvin, but the 25-year-old was denied by another fantastic save by WSL debutant Lambourne.

With Everton enjoying the lion’s share of possession, the deadlock was finally broken with 10 minutes to go.

Substitutes Hanna Bennison and Magill combined, as Bennison’s through ball slid in the Northern Ireland striker, who rounded the goalkeeper and gave Everton the lead.

An extra spring in the steps of Everton players was evident as they almost doubled their lead just two minutes later.

Duggan cut in from the left side and clipped the far side of the crossbar with her effort.

In the dying moments of the game, Abbie McManus’ long ball fell to the feet of Leicester substitute Natasha Flint, who could only send her effort over the crossbar, sealing a 1-0 away win for the Toffees.

The Blues return to action in two weeks time following the international break as they welcome Durham to Walton Hall Park.