Clinical Chelsea Inflict Everton Women's First WSL Defeat Of Season

Everton suffered a first WSL defeat of the season on Sunday as the Blues were beaten 4-0 at reigning champions Chelsea.

Ji So-Yun put the home side ahead at Kingsmeadow on 16 minutes but the match remained in the balance until Bethany England struck Chelsea’s second 17 minutes from time.

Chelsea added two further goals late on – another for England and last-minute effort from Pernille Harder – to put the gloss on the scoreline.

After a lively opening from Everton – which saw Nicoline Sorensen deliver a wicked cross in the opening minute which just evaded the Toffees’ forwards – Chelsea threatened 10 minutes into the contest. A dangerous ball in from the flank by Jonna Andersson just missed the head of England in the area.

Willie Kirk’s side were quick to respond with an attack of their own.

A miscued kick by Chelsea goalkeeper Ann-Katrin Berger allowed Damaris Egurrola the chance to try her luck with a floated shot from distance, which went just off target.

The home side capitalised on this missed opportunity moments later. A blocked kick by Everton goalkeeper Sandy Maclver fell to the feet of Ji just outside the area, who controlled the ball on her chest before volleying into the bottom corner.

The rest of the half continued in a competitive manner, with Everton crafting another good chance to score 10 minutes before the half-time break.

An excellent cross from Hayley Raso on the left flank fell into the path of Izzy Christiansen in the penalty area, but she just couldn’t get a good enough contact on the ball.

Everton had another opportunity to draw level on 65 minutes. Sorensen made driving down the right and her neat lay-off allowed Ingrid Moe Wold the chance to deliver a cross to the back post. Raso was waiting but her effort was blocked on the line to keep the scores level.

It was Chelsea who were to get the game’s vital next goal, however, with England’s neat finish doubling the home side's lead on 73 minutes.

England struck again soon after with a close-range header, before Harder completed the scoring with a 20-yard effort deep into stoppage time.

Everton return to action next Sunday against Reading at Walton Hall Park (4.30pm).