On This Day - 25 March

As a regular feature during this football-free period we will be taking a look back at Everton games that have been played ON THIS DAY through the years…

On 25 March 2014, Everton chalked up the third win in a run of six consecutive Premier League victories, beating Newcastle United 3-0 at St James’ Park.

Ross Barkley gave the Blues the lead with a wonder-goal after 22 minutes. He picked the ball up inside his own half and carried it all the way to the Newcastle box before unleashing a fine shot past Tim Krul and into the net.

The second goal came early in the second period when Romelu Lukaku tucked home an inviting low centre from Gerard Deulofeu, and Leon Osman wrapped things up three minutes from time when he belted home a great effort after Lukaku had teed him up.

The Newcastle manager Alan Pardew was watching from the stands having been given a touchline ban for a headbutt on Hull City’s David Meyler!

The first ever Wembley all-Merseyside derby took place ON THIS DAY in 1984 when the Blues met the Reds in the final of the Milk Cup.

The historic match, played in a terrific atmosphere, ended goalless but Everton were denied a stonewall penalty when Alan Hansen cleared a goalbound effort from Adrian Heath with his hand. Inexplicably, referee Alan Robinson opted not to award a spot-kick and it’s a decision that still baffles Evertonians to this day. And it’s why Robinson often gets mentioned in the same breath as Clive Thomas and Pierluigi Collina.

Both teams shared a memorable lap of honour together after the final whistle as Wembley rocked to the chants of ‘Merseyside, Merseyside.’

Everton Football Club first played in an FA Cup final ON THIS DAY in 1893. The opponents were Wolverhampton Wanderers and the venue was Fallowfield In Manchester.

This was the only final ever played at the stadium and although the official attendance was returned as 45,000, it is estimated that there were more than 60,000 inside and the kick-off was delayed due to crowd congestion.

Wolves won the game 1-0 with a goal from captain Harry Allen in the 60th minute.  The final was Everton’s fourth game in ten days. The others were the semi-final, and replay, against Preston North End and a 4-2 league win against…Wolves!

Related Articles