On This Day - 24 March

As a regular feature during this football-free period we will be taking a look back at Everton games that have been played ON THIS DAY through the years…

Today…Moyes falls out with Mancini, Latchford and McKenzie beat the Toon and it’s a Greek tragedy for Catterick.

Both Everton and Manchester City were chasing a European qualification slot when the two teams met at the City of Manchester Stadium ON THIS DAY in 2010.

The Toffees took the lead after 33 minutes when Tim Cahill headed a Leighton Baines cross past Shay Given, and the points were sealed five minutes from time when a low cross from Jack Rodwell was converted by Mikel Arteta for a 2-0 win.

As time ebbed away there was a melee at the side of the pitch with David Moyes and Roberto Mancini exchanging pushes and shoves. Both managers were sent to the stands but the Italian had been the instigator and he duly apologised afterwards.

The result gave Everton a Premier League double against Manchester City for the second time in three seasons.  Indeed, from January 2008 to May 2011, Moyes led the Blues to seven wins out of eight against City.

When Everton played Newcastle United at St James’ Park on 24 March 1978, it was the first of three First Division games in just four days!

It was Good Friday and the Toffees were second in the table behind Brian Clough’s Nottingham Forest – who had three games in hand. The Geordies, meanwhile, were fighting for their First Division lives, lying second from bottom.

The game went to form with Everton winning 2-0. Bob Latchford opened the scoring on 16 minutes and then Duncan McKenzie doubled the lead early in the second period.

(The duo also both scored the following day in a 2-0 home win against Leeds United!)

Everton suffered European Cup heartache ON THIS DAY in 1971.  The Blues had been drawn against Greek side Panathinaikos in the quarter-finals but, despite dominating the first leg at Goodison, the game ended in a 1-1 draw.

For the return in the capital city of Athens on 24 March 1971, Brian Labone was back in the team after injury, replacing Roger Kenyon from the first game, but luck was against the Blues and the match ended goalless, putting Panathinaikos through on away goals.

Related Articles