What The Papers Say – August 14

The views on this page are taken from the local and national media and do not necessarily reflect the views of Everton.

Everton new boy Alex Iwobi features in Wednesday's Daily Mirror. The talented forward moved to Goodison Park from boyhood club Arsenal last week and the Mirror relates quotes from Iwobi, who told evertontv of his hope to "make a name for myself" at his new club.

Turkish outlet Fotomac claims Everton striker Oumar Niasse is set for a move to Super Lig club Trabzonspor, with the six-times domestic champions hoping to push through a deal for the Senegal international this week.

Bordeaux are said by RMC Sport to have asked about Morgan Schniederlin. The French publication says Everton midfielder Schneiderlin rebuffed any potential move – after manager Marco Silva revealed last week the idea of the former Manchester United man leaving Goodison was "impossible".

Former Everton striker Louis Saha has told bwin.com that the "physically strong" Moise Kean is "a great signing for Everton".

Frenchman Saha, who scored 35 goals in 115 appearances for the Club after joining from Manchester United in 2008, cautions the need for patience with Kean - but insists Everton will give the teenager "all the tools he will need to develop into a leading striker".

Another ex-Everton player in Nigerian Joseph Yobo has spoken to Goal.com about compatriot Iwobi's Toffees move.

"Everton is a quality team and I’m happy as an Evertonian that we acquired a talent like him," said Yobo.

"He's got everything to succeed... he will learn more which will make him grow and more mature in the game.”

Everton were paired with Lincoln City in Tuesday night's Carabao Cup second-round draw. The teams met in an FA Cup third round tie earlier this year and Imps' assistant boss Nicky Cowley told Lincolnshire Live it was a "spooky coincidence" the teams would renew acquaintances so soon after their January date.

The Liverpool Echo carries quotes from Iwobi's evertontv interview, the local paper leading off the 23-year-old saying Everton's offer was "too attractive for me to turn down".

The same paper considers how Everton's midfield might look against Watford on Saturday. Schneiderlin will serve a one-match ban, with the Blues waiting for the result of a scan on Andre Gomes's ankle after the Portuguese was forced off early at Crystal Palace last weekend.

Related Articles

Loading