Saturday 1 October 11:00 , Finch Farm , Attendance:
HT: 1 - 0
  • KO
    • Goal!
      Roman Dixon
  • HT
    • Substitution
    • Substitution
    • Substitution
    • Yellow Card!
      Harry Wright
    • Substitution
    • Substitution
    • Yellow Card!
      Jack Patterson
  • FT

There is no live blog yet available, please come back at a later time to see the match blog

No Match Data

No Match Data

There is no statistical data available for this game. Comprehensive data is not available for Under-18 fixtures. We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.

Leighton Baines' Under-18s picked up their first league victory of the season with an impressive 1-0 win over Manchester City at Finch Farm.

Roman Dixon’s stunning solo effort on 12 minutes was enough to clinch all three points, with the young Blues comfortably seeing out the second-half.

The visitors started brightly and came close when Joel Ndala broke through the defence, but the winger's low left-footed strike failed to hit the target.

Everton's first opportunity of the match broke the deadlock - and in some style.

Sebastian Jensen clipped a ball out wide to Dixon inside his own half and the right-back drove towards goal, beating several defenders with a weaving run before slamming home with a low drive.

Manchester City began to enjoy long spells of possession after the opener and manufactured a couple of half chances before the half-time interval.

Firstly, an instinctive Jensen save denied Justin Oboavwoduo, tipping over his glancing header over the crossbar whilst under pressure.

City's Jaden Heskey then had a gilt-edged opportunity to score, but after strong play on the wing from Ndala, his flicked effort sailed over the crossbar.

Despite conceding the lion's share of possession, Everton were winning the midfield battle and looked strong all over the park. Jack Patterson and Matthew Apter set a great tempo with their tenacious press, preventing the away side from finding any rhythm.

The Toffees also remained comfortable in their shape and broke well when winning the ball back. Coby Ebere’s pace and dynamism down the flank was causing City's defence problems, but a teasing delivery across goal failed to pick out the on-rushing Sminkle-James.

After the break, City looked to regain control of the game with steady possession, but Everton remained resolute. A sighter from Jacob Wright and a blocked Nico O’Reilly effort the closest they came to a response before the hour mark.

A late chance came and went for the Citizens, the lively Oboavwoduo heading over the crossbar from Jacob Wright's cross.

But Everton held out impressively to secure the points and a first clean sheet of the season. 

Next up for the Under-18s is a trip to Chelsea on Saturday 8 October.

Recent scores
Recent scores