Harry Catterick


Managed: 594
Won: 276
Drawn: 157
Lost: 161

An authoritarian manager, Harry Catterick took over Everton following the departure of Carey in 1961. Given a direct brief from Moores to get the Club back to the top of the league again, Catterick transformed the Club under his leadership, winning the FA Cup in 1966 as well as the League Championship twice.

Another prolific former player returning to Everton, Catterick had played for the Club throughout the 1940s and early 1950s, scoring 24 League and Cup goals for the Club in 71 matches. Older fans welcomed him back enthusiastically, hoping his talents on the pitch could continue off it.

Confident in his own judgement, and unafraid of criticism, Catterick acquired a series of top-class players for the Club, bringing in players such as John Morrissey, Fred Pickering and Ray Wilson from extensive playing of the transfer market. Reaching fourth place in the League during his first season at the Club, Catterick's second season saw the dream of Moores and the other fans come true as a much-changed team took the Championship victory with customary panache.

The only blight on an otherwise superb career appeared in 1965 when player Tony Kay, acquired by Catterick, was sentenced to prison for fixing matches during his time with Sheffield Wednesday, crushing Catterick's belief in the idyll of sportsmanship.

With the 1966 FA Cup final beckoning, Catterick gambled on the previously unknown Cornishman Mike Trebilcock to replace fans' favourite Fred Pickering, but his decision was vindicated as Trebilcock scored twice and the Blues came from 0-2 down to win a memorable final 3-2.

With England World Cup winner Alan Ball signed for a British record £110,000 - and joining a line up of rising stars such as Joe Royle, John Hurst and Jimmy Husband - plus another new signing Howard Kendall - 1968 saw Everton return to Wembley once more. This time, however, their hopes were dashed when West Brom took the FA Cup in extra time.

With the 1969-1970 season beckoning, hopes were high as Everton fielded one of the finest sides seen in English football. The expectations were matched as the Toffees secured the Championship in style, with the 'Holy Trinity' of Kendall, Harvey and Ball providing silk and steel to the Everton midfield.

However, disaster was to strike for Catterick as team confidence plummeted unexpectedly after two semi-final defeats to Liverpool and Panathaniakos, and the team fell to 14th place only 12 months after heading the League.

While driving home one night in January 1972 Catterick suffered a heart attack. Then, in April 1973 and with four years still left on his contract, continuing fears about his health, and worries about the affect it would have on the team forced him to move to a less strenuous role as a senior executive.