FA Cup Final 1966


14 May 1966
Everton 3-2 Sheffield Wednesday
Wembley Stadium
FA Cup Final
Attendance: 100,000

Wembley saw one of its most dramatic ever finals when Everton met up with Sheffield Wednesday in 1966.

But the hero of the hour was an unlikely one who had played in just one previous FA Cup tie for the Blues.

Mike Trebilcock had been given a run out in the semi-final against Manchester United but had only appeared in seven league games all season.

Goodison favourite Fred Pickering had been left out of the starting line-up at Trebilcock's expense and eyebrows were raised by the Goodison faithful, as Pickering was one of their favourite sons.

Trebilcock was a little-known Cornishman who Catterick had signed from Plymouth Argyle the previous New Year's Eve for £20,000. But Catterick believed he could do a job... and so it proved.


"Fred was popular and could score goals," said Catterick later. "But he'd been injured and gone off the boil a bit. Trebilcock was a first-rate goal poacher. I always felt his sharpness would show." Catterick, astute as ever, was right. Trebilcock emerged as a shock hero on a day that will live long in the memory of those who saw it.

The Owls got off to a flying start and were 1-0 up inside the first four minutes. Jim McCalliog had a pot shot at goal and it took a wicked deflection off England left-back Ray Wilson, leaving goalkeeper Gordon West helpless. In fact, Wednesday were on top for most of the first half, with the Blues' chances limited.

Everton's misery was further compounded when Alex Young's expertly finished 'goal' was disallowed for offside, before the "Golden Vision" appeared to be brought down in the penalty box by Ron Springett only for the referee to wave play on.

Wednesday could, and perhaps should, have extended their lead just a few minutes later but McCalliog's shot was brilliantly blocked after a goalmouth melee.

At half-time though, the Owls were comfortably in control, an Everton side that had arrived at Wembley as the first team ever to reach the final without conceding a goal in the preceding rounds were struggling to make an impact.

And the second period began more or less as the previous had finished, with Everton enjoying more of the ball but failing to capitalise on the advantage.

Young was desperately unlucky not to level the scores five minutes into the half when he received Temple's inch-perfect ball, turned sharply and smashed the ball goalwards from the penalty spot, only to see Springett palm his attempt past the post.

At the other end, McCalliog fired just wide for Wednesday in the 54th minute and, only three minutes after that, David Ford was on hand to power the ball home and double his side's lead after West had parried a fierce shot by John Fantham.

What followed was one of the greatest cup final fight backs of all time.

The Blues' response was almost immediate. Just over two minutes after conceding, Temple's header was blocked and Trebilcock made no mistake from 12 yards to make it 2-1.

Another five minutes later and the Blues were level. Alex Scott launched a free-kick into the Wednesday area which was not properly cleared by Sam Ellis, and Trebilcock crashed home from the edge of the area for his - and Everton's - second. 

Suddenly, it was Wednesday who found themselves on the back foot.

And, with 16 minutes remaining, Gerry Young in the Owls defence failed to control a bouncing ball, allowing Temple to race clear and fire past Springett from the edge of the area to put the Blues ahead for the first time.

Trebilcock had a chance to mark the fairytale by completing his hat-trick shortly after but was denied by the Owls custodian.

Wednesday did have one final chance in the 89th minute but Fantham was unable to convert and the day belonged to the men from Merseyside.

The cup returned to Goodison Park for the first time since Dixie Dean and Co. had won it over three decades earlier in 1933.

That just left Brian Labone to go up and collect the trophy from Princess Margaret and the Goodison Park roar echoed around Wembley once again.