Next Match:

Ticket Info

v West Brom

Saturday 13 September K.O. 15:00

What The Papers Say - 13 October

What The Papers Say - 13 October

The views on this page are taken from the local and national media and do not necessarily reflect the views of Everton

 

Daily Post

 

 

EVERTON full-back Seamus Coleman will have a double target as he runs out for the Republic of Ireland under-21s against Switzerland tonight.

The 21-year-old was part of the side which saw a first European Championship qualifying victory ripped from their grasp at Tallaght Stadium on Friday evening when Georgia’s Giorgi Ivanishvili scored a late equaliser. Coleman played 86 minutes of the game just days after making his comeback from a nasty foot injury suffered on duty for his club’s reserves against Manchester United.

He revealed last week how he might have lost the big toe on his right foot had medics not dealt with an infected blister as promptly as they did.

The problem could hardly have come at a worse time for the former Sligo Rovers player, who had been involved in the senior squad at Goodison Park during pre-season and had high hopes of forcing his way into contention.

However, his injury troubles have seen him slip back down the pecking order, and now he is desperate to force his way back into manager David Moyes’s thoughts.

To that end, playing for his country can do him little harm.

Coleman said: “I went back in pre-season and I really wanted to give it a go.

“Things couldn’t have gone much better for me.

“I was playing pre-season games, and then the injury happened. But to be in and around the first team has been great.

“You have just got to start from scratch again. I played my first reserve game on Tuesday night – I was only back training the week before, so I am just getting my fitness back up again and looking forward.

“But it’s a long season, so we will see what happens.”

Daily Post

 

 

EVERTON goalkeeper Tim Howard reckons he’s in the best for of his career as he looks forward to playing in the World Cup finals.

The US stopper helped his country qualify for next summer’s World Cup in South Africa this weekend when they beat Honduras 3-2 and Howard is confident his country can spring a few surprises next summer.

Howard said: “Hopefully the sky’s the limit for us.

“We hope we get a really good draw. We’ve played some big games in the last few years and I’m hoping that when we go down there, we’re not afraid of what they throw at us because I think we can get out of our group and then hopefully at that point, go from there. I was relieved, I was thankful.

“I feel like I’m in the prime of my career and the thought went through my head this week that I certainly didn’t want to miss this opportunity.

“It was important for me as an individual as most of these guys in here will tell you, young and old. But personally for me it was a chance I didn’t want to go to waste.”

While Howard is already looking ahead to what the summer may have in store, those Everton players not on international duty this week have focused purely on the next league match – home to Wolverhampton Wanderers on Saturday.

One player who was keen to concentrate on the threat posed by Mick McCarthy’s men was 19-year-old Dan Gosling who says he has quickly found no games in the Premier League are foregone conclusions.

Gosling said: “Stoke have bought very well and they’ve cemented themselves as a Premier League team.

“As for Wolves, they’ve got a few very good players there; they’ve started the season okay and got points on the board.

“This season gets tougher every season with the money coming in from overseas, clubs spending a lot of money on players and the squads getting bigger. There are no ‘gimmes’ in this league anymore.

“I’ve had a taste for it now, I just want to have more success, play more games and do whatever I can really.

“With such a small squad, nine times out of ten you are involved every Saturday and every chance you get you just want to impress. I’ve had a run out in the Europa League and hopefully I’ve done myself and the team justice. Every chance I get to play, I just want to do alright.”

Liverpool Echo

 

 

DAVID MOYES will ask his Everton squad to scale the heights when they return from the second international break of the season this weekend.

The Blues went into the enforced break with an encouraging run of five wins and a draw from six matches – including back to back 4-0, 3-0 and 4-0 wins.

But when the international stars regroup at Finch Farm on Friday, they will face a gruelling spell of seven games in 23 days – including tough away days at Benfica and Tottenham.

But despite the run of five successive victories, Moyes said: “I don’t think we’ve reached the heights. I think we’ve got a good bit to go yet.

“When you’re winning you can go from there because it brings more confidence to the players.

“I can see the players getting more confident, a lot more belief coming into them. But we are trying to integrate one or two news players as well, who we’re having to find out about. Overall we’ve done okay.

“It’s important we try and keep the points ticking along in the Premier League. We don’t want to get too detached from the teams above us if we can help it.”

The Blues get back to Premier League action with a home game against Wolves – with the only international stars still to play this week and give cause for concern being goalkeeper Tim Howard and Russian midfielder Diniyar Bilyaletdinov.

Howard’s USA have already qualified for the World Cup finals, but still have a final qualifier to play in Washington against Costa Rica in the early hours of Thursday morning.

Howard, however, said after the weekend’s 3-2 victory over Honduras which clinched qualification: “I feel like I’m in the prime of my career.

“The thought went through my head this week that I certainly didn’t want to miss this opportunity.

“It was important for me as an individual as most of these guys in here will tell you, young and old. But personally for me it was a chance I didn’t want to go to waste.”

Russia’s Diniyar Bilyaletdinov, who did not figure in the clash with Germany which cost the Russians any chance of topping Group 4, could figure in Wednesday’s final clash before the Play-Offs in Azerbaijan.

The Mirror

 

 

Everton boss David Moyes is furious with attempts by the Belgian FA to ban his midfielder Marouane Fellaini from playing this weekend.

The Belgium international pulled out his country's game against Estonia tomorrow, to instead undergo surgery to have wisdom teeth removed.

The Goodison star was due to have the operation a week ago, but delayed to play for his nation in their win over Turkey on Saturday.

Now though, he insists he had to have the surgery yesterday, or instead suffer for another two months with a serious infection, whilst waiting for another appointment.

Moyes is adamant that the player had even reached agreement with Belgium boss Dick Advocaat that he would only play in the first of the head to head World Cup qualifiers.

But Advocaat claims he knows nothing of the agreement, and now the Belgian FA has faxed Everton to invoke FIFA's five-day rule, which bans players from representing their clubs if they are unavailable for international duty.

In a statement yesterday, Advocaat claimed: "Apparently if he did not go to the dentist on Monday, he would face a wait of two months for another appointment. I can understand that but he has to realise that he should have informed me first."

But Everton are furious with the Belgian FA's attitude, and now they are ready to go to FIFA to get the decision, reversed, because they claim the decision was made by the player, not his club.

And last night Goodison spokesman Ian Ross said: "We released Marouane for both games and so have complied with all our obligations.

"He then struck a private understanding with the Belgium manager that if he played on Saturday, he would be released from the Estonia game.

"The manager then changed his mind, it would seem, but that is between him and the player. We did not say he couldn't play on Wednesday, so as far as we are concerned, he should be available for us on Saturday."

StubHub

StubHub

Everton Season Ticket holders can list their seat for any Barclays Premier League game that they can’t attend on StubHub, the Official Ticket Marketplace

Find out more
Match Highlights Archive

Match Highlights Archive

Watch highlights from classic and recent Everton games on evertontv.

Find out more
2014/15 Season Tickets

2014/15 Season Tickets

All the information you could need about securing your seat at Goodison.

Find out more
Shop Online

Shop Online

Buy Everton merchandise on our online store.

Find out more
History Timeline

History Timeline

A quick visual walk through Everton's rich and fascinating history.

Find out more

This site uses cookies. Click here to learn more.