Snodin Salutes Besic Signing
Former Blue delighted with squad's midfield options.
Ian Snodin believes Everton boast one of the strongest midfields in the Premier League after Roberto Martinez snapped up Bosnia-Herzegovina international Muhamed Besic.
The 21-year-old sealed his move from Hungarian outfit Ferencváros on Monday, penning a five-year contract at Goodison Park.
Besic is the second midfielder to sign on with the Blues this summer following Gareth Barry’s permanent switch earlier this month.
And with youngsters Ross Barkley and James McCarthy, plus senior figures Darron Gibson and Leon Osman, also in the squad, Snodin says there is the perfect mix of youth and experience to tackle the demanding season that lies ahead.
“It’s a good move bringing in Besic – you cannot get enough good players,” Snodin told evertontv. “We have got a lot of quality and I think it’s great.
“You do need a squad these days, and with the Europa League as well that's even more important. Roberto will have the opportunity to rest a few players at times and not decrease [the quality] in the team because they are good players who will come in and fill the slot.”
Besic, who can also play in defence, made three appearances at this summer’s World Cup.
Snodin says that involvement in Brazil already underlines the youngster’s quality – and he can only foresee the German-born man getting even better under Roberto Martinez’s tuition.
He added: “This boy’s only 21 and I’m sure he will be a long-term investment. I believe he will be involved in games this season but being his age he has got a good few years ahead of him.
“Roberto will have been scrutinising him closely out there and he will have had his eye on him before he went to the World Cup.
“The manager will have done his homework and seen what a good young player he is.”
Celebrate Leon Osman's career at Everton this Sunday when the Blues face FC Porto in the midfielder's testimonial. Purchase tickets for the game by clicking here now.