Next Match:

Ticket Info

v Wolfsburg

Thursday 18 September K.O. 20:05

  • 41
  • 6

What The Papers Say - 18 September

A summary of Tuesday's Everton news.

What The Papers Say - 18 September

The views on this page are taken from the local and national media and do not necessarily reflect the views of Everton.

The Echo

DAVID MOYES was left ruing the poor officiating which he felt had cost his Everton side in their 2-2 draw against Newcastle United.

On an emotional evening at Goodison Park, in which Everton paid a moving tribute to the victims of the Hillsborough disaster, the Blues were denied all three points by Demba Ba’s stoppage-time equaliser, having looked to have snatched victory through Victor Anichebe just two minutes from the end.

Moyes, however, was frustrated that his side had not been further ahead by that point.

Referee Mike Jones and his assistant Ceri Richards between them failed to spot that Anichebe’s 78th-minute header had crossed the line before Newcastle defender Mike Williamson could hack the ball clear.

And, earlier, Richards had adjudged Marouane Fellaini to have been offside as he converted Steven Pienaar’s pass, with replays suggesting the Belgian had been, at best, level with the last defender as the ball was played.

Moyes said: “Our play was very good tonight, and I thought we should have taken all three points, and deservedly. But we didn’t.

“It’s not just conceding a late second goal, we had other goals I thought should have been allowed.

“I had a word (with the officials afterwards). I wasn’t ranting and raving, but I said ‘look, you’ve missed two goals’. And it does affect the outcome of the game.

“It’s a difficult call but if you’re a linesman on the goal line, you would hope you would see if the ball goes over the line – that’s your job.

“The other goal was onside, it was really good play. I was surprised when that was given offside because I saw the move and thought (Fellaini) was always onside.

“The other (Anichebe) one, you can’t really tell from the sideline, but you see from players’ reactions that they felt it was in. Sometimes you need decisions to go for you, and tonight they didn’t.”

However, Moyes’ ire was not just reserved for the match officials. The Scot felt his side should have added to Leighton Baines’ 14th-minute strike before half-time, having dominated the opening period.

“We should have been out of sight,” he said. “We played well, but we missed a few chances in the first half.

“I thought we started the second half well too, but we lost the ball in the middle of the park and within two touches we were back to one-each. We then had a bit of a wobble, and they were a bigger threat, but I still thought we had chances to win the game.”

Moyes also confirmed that the injury sustained by Nikica Jelavic was unlikely to be more than “a bang on the knee” and that the Croatian would be medically assessed later this week.

On the pre-match tribute to the victims of the Hillsborough disaster, which saw two child mascots wearing red and blue strips bearing the number 96 lead the teams onto the field, the Blues boss added: “Everton stood alongside Liverpool when the disaster happened. The city is so mixed with its support, we just wanted to say well done to the families for getting the justice they felt they deserved. It has been a long fight, a long struggle.

“It doesn’t bring them back, but it was our way of saying that Everton continue to stand alongside Liverpool over this travesty of justice they have suffered.”

The Echo

IT WAS a classic case of floodlight robbery.

Everton supporters look forward to these pulsating nights at Goodison, especially after this season’s opening win over Manchester United, but they were always going to struggle against 14 men.

It wasn’t just Newcastle’s predator Demba Ba that the Blues had to contend with last night, but an officiating team who seemed hell-bent on denying them at all costs.

Two legitimate goals were ruled out, and Mike Jones will have picked his way through the tunnel afterwards being very careful to avoid David Moyes after one of the most inept refereeing displays at this ground in a long time.

Moyes’ anger, however, will have been fuelled not just by self-righteous fury and bad decisions. He’ll have concerns about his side’s leaky defence, after they allowed the Magpies back into the game twice and seemed unable to cope with their long-ball approach.

For 45 minutes Everton tore into a bedraggled Newcastle with all the gusto of the same fixture in May. A similarly comfortable win seemed certain.

Even when Hatem Ben Arfa skipped through two challenges and burst into the area to give Everton a fright seconds after the opening whistle, the hosts were quick to respond by nearly taking the lead at the other end.

The impressive Kevin Mirallas crossed from the right and Marouane Fellaini forced Newcastle reserve keeper Steve Harper into a smart low parry. Nikica Jelavic, who had strayed a yard offside, poked in the rebound and injured himself in the process as his lunge ended in collision with the goal post. Fortunately after giving the home dug-out a fright he was able to continue, even if the incident left its mark on the Croatian.

Everton continued to probe, and after smart midfield interplay Leighton Baines cut the ball back for Steven Pienaar to skew a shot wide.

The Blues had dominated the early stages though, and the same duo swiftly combined to give them the lead. Baines latched onto the South African’s cheeky back-heel to drill a fierce low shot beyond Harper’s feeble dive. The England defender has admitted he is not overly fond of celebrating goals, but it will have been a special moment for him on such an emotionally charged evening, particularly given that his father, a Liverpool fan, had survived the Hillsborough disaster.

The pre-game tribute to the 96 victims of that tragedy had been note-perfect, and it was perhaps fitting that a local lad from a family of mixed allegiances opened the scoring.

Everton were thriving now, with Mirallas showing plenty of potency by drifting in from the flank and almost opening his Premier League goal account with a venomous shot from 20 yards that was only inches wide.

In the face of the onslaught the visitors were subdued, but Papiss Cisse reminded everyone of his danger when he volleyed an effort past the post after Everton struggled to clear Sylvain Marveaux’s free-kick.

But it was a rare threat, and Steve Harper was soon called into action again – this time diving low to try and palm away Phil Jagielka’s 15 yard drive which clipped the post. The veteran goalkeeper’s hang-dog expression as he lay prone on the turf said it all - this was to be one of his busier nights.

At least his team-mates were beginning to flicker into life by then. Indeed Baines was called into action to clear off his own goal-line as Vurnon Anita’s deflected flick was headed for the back of the net following goof work by danger-man Ben Arfa.

That scare was soon compounded when Jelavic succumbed to an accumulation of bumps and bruises and had to be replaced just before the break by Victor Anichebe. At least Everton ended the half back on the front foot when Mirallas was again finding threatening positions in the gap between the visitor’s midfield and defence.

Unfortunately the vibrant Everton which seemed poised to score at any moment didn’t emerge for the second half. And the pale imitation of that side which did come out were quickly punished. Leon Osman was robbed by Yohan Cabaye, and the French playmaker slipped the ball to half-time substitute Demba Ba who rolled his shot past Tim Howard despite not making the cleanest of connections.

Suddenly Pardew’s men sensed a result which had seemed unthinkable in the first half. Ba headed wide after another attack and Blue brows were creasing into frowns.

Being robbed of a legitimate goal by an errant off-side flag didn’t help. Pienaar did splendidly to tee-up Fellaini, and the big Belgian was level with Mike Williamson when he made his move to convert the close-range chance but his redemptive celebrations, after telling journalists he wanted to leave last week, were cut short.

The resentment fired Everton back into action, and Victor Anichebe charged down a slack back pass to almost nip in ahead of Steve Harper only for the Toon keeper to spare him a booking by telling whistle-happy ref Mike Jones the striker’s challenge had been fair.

Moyes will have been concerned at how his side seemed to struggle to cope with Newcastle’s largely route-one approach, with long-balls and not the artistry of Cabaye or Ben Arfa which seemed to unsettle his back four.

In Baines and Pienaar Everton had the games outstanding creators, despite the visitors’ talented French duo, and they were always likely to create something. The pair combined to craft a prime opening, when Baines fed Fellaini who played a smart reverse ball which Osman met with a first time strike that bent agonisingly past the post.

Cue more awful officiating. Anichebe’s header had clearly crossed the line despite a brave attempted save from Harper, but the referee’s assistant got it horribly wrong and Everton were left howling at the mistake.

They thought that wrong had been righted when Anichebe’s slick turn and finish restored their lead with only minutes left, but there was a sting in the tail yet. Another Newcastle long-ball was not dealt with, as Shola Ameobi flicked on and Ba prodded home his brace despite Distin’s despairing goal-line lunge.

The unedifying sight of Pardew celebrating his ill-gotten point at the end will have done nothing to lift Evertonian spirits.

But on reflection there can be plenty of reasons to be cheerful, as long as the customary resilience can return to their defending soon.

The Echo

LEIGHTON BAINES dedicated his opening goal during Evertons 2-2 draw with Newcastle to the memory of the 96 Hillsborough disaster victims.

The England defender, whose Liverpool-supporting father survived the tragedy in 1989, said he had been moved by the emotional tribute at Goodison before the game, which was staged in the wake of last weeks publication of the independent report exposing the shocking cover-up staged by police and officials.

He said: "I'd dedicate it to them definitely but then its hard to relate me scoring or the game in general with Hillsborough in some respects because football pales into a certain level of insignificance when you compare the two.

"But I thought what we did at the start of the game was a nice touch and hopefully now people can start to move forward, and perhaps get some of the closure that they need."

Everton were denied two legitimate goals against Alan Pardews side, when Marouane Fellaini was wrongly ruled of-side in the second half and then Victor Anichebes header was deemed not to have crossed the line despite replays later proving it had.

The Blues responded to the setbacks with Victor Anichebes 88th minute strike and thought they had won the game, but then conceded a last-gasp equaliser from Demba Ba, something which infuriated Baines.

"I was miles away but I thought Victors goal looked in, and the replays showed it was," he said.

"So that was frustrating and then Felli was onside too. We scored five goals in the game, four good ones and we only got two of them.

"It's disappointing really. I suppose it comes down to the linesman on that side getting the two decisions wrong. The offside is maybe marginal but the goal was clear.

"Perhaps Victor got himself in the linesman's way but they've got to get these decisions right."

Baines admitted that Everton must improve their defending after allowing the visitors back into the game.

He said: "It was up to us to see the game out. We scored so late and with only a couple of minutes let we had to see it out.

"Newcastle got pretty much all of their joy from lumping balls up time after time. They've got two good strikers but they didnt have much play in midfield.

"They were very direct and weve got to be able to deal with stuff like that better.

"It's not very Everton like and thats what's most frustrating.

"We weren't done by a wonder goal it was straight forward and preventable stuff."

The Echo

LIVERPOOL FC managing director Ian Ayre praised Everton after their Merseyside neighbours produced a moving tribute to the victims of the Hillsborough disaster prior to their 2-2 draw with Newcastle United at Goodison Park.

Everton were led out by two mascots – one wearing the blue kit and another wearing the Liverpool strip. The mascot in Blue colours wore 9 while the mascot in red colours had 6 and they stood side by side, displaying 96.

Everton’s ball boys for the match also wore tracksuits with the number 96 on the back.

Before kick-off, the club observed a minute’s applause and a moving montage of the 96 was played on the big screen accompanied by The Hollies’ classic ‘He Ain’t Heavy, He’s My Brother’.

Margaret Aspinall and Trevor Hicks from the Hillsborough Families Support Group were both attending the game as guests of Everton chairman Bill Kenwright.

Ayre said: “I would like to extend a heartfelt thank-you to all the staff and fans at Everton Football Club from everyone at Liverpool for the display of support you have shown the Hillsborough families tonight.

“We’ve always been great rivals on the pitch but off it, the two clubs have always supported each other. In the immediate aftermath of the disaster, Everton Football Club was there for us and that solidarity was on display again last week when the Hillsborough Independent Panel’s findings were revealed.

“At times like this, football rivalries take a back seat – something that makes this city unique and I think supporters of both clubs can be immensely proud of the way they have conducted themselves over the past days, weeks and years since the tragedy.”

The Echo

NEWCASTLE keeper Steve Harper was thankful for his stroke of luck as his side drew 2-2 at Everton.

Harper turned Victor Anichebe’s goalbound header onto the underside of the crossbar and it bounced down, seemingly over the line, before Mike Williamson cleared.

The goal was not given and though Anichebe later put the Toffees 2-1 up, Newcastle substitute Demba Ba equalised with his second goal of the match.

Asked about the controversial goal-line decision, Harper said: “It was behind me.

“I genuinely though I’d saved it but apparently it was over the line.

“You’re taught never to give it up and I didn’t, and we went and scored at the other end so I’m pleased.

“I got a hand on it and got a bit of luck – you need a bit of that, I didn’t have much luck with the two goals so what goes around comes around.”

Ba, who admitted he was “not happy” to be left on the bench, was introduced at the interval and equalised for the first time within four minutes.

He grabbed a predatory second in the last minute to prove his point to manager Alan Pardew, who admitted: “Sometimes players play better when they’re angry.

“I can’t keep everyone happy in this squad, there are still one or two who aren’t happy.”

And the Senegal striker said: “It was good to get a draw because it was difficult.

“Last season here it was very difficult and tonight the first half was the same, but the second half was very different.”

Harper agreed: “It’s a fantastic point, we were well beaten here in May.

“The manager was not pleased at half-time, and rightly so, but we’ve got Demba on the bench and he came on and made a difference.

“At 2-1 down we were disappointed but the spirit in our squad is fantastic and when you’ve got Demba, Papiss and Hatem’s quality, you’ve always got a chance.”

The Echo

IN the end the only thing missing was the result, and even that should have been Everton’s. On a night when the blue half of Merseyside displayed every last drop of the class, dignity and compassion which defines it, football was always likely to take a back seat.

Nevertheless, there will be plenty of frustration that Everton were unable to cap an emotional evening with three points, with a combination of slipshod officiating, profligate finishing and a fired-up Demba Ba denying David Moyes’ side a victory they had more than merited.

It ended as a night of high drama at Goodison, though it had begun with the most moving of scenes, as Everton paid its own, unique tribute to the victims of the Hillsborough disaster and their ongoing fight for justice.

Nobody at Goodison will ever forget the scene as, prior to kick-off, two child mascots, one in Everton blue, one in Liverpool red, led out the sides hand in hand. The young pair’s shirt numbers had been arranged to read ‘96’ whilst the sound of The Hollies’ ‘He Ain’t Heavy, He’s My Brother’ rang around the ground, and the names of the victims were displayed on the big screen.

Watching from the sidelines were members of the Hillsborough Families Support Group, invited as guests of Blues chairman Bill Kenwright.

Dry eyes? There wasn’t a chance. The image of Beth Garner-Watt, 11, and Mikey Clarke, 8, is assured of its place among the most iconic in this great city’s history, their unity a life-defining show of strength between two football clubs who, more than anyone, know the meaning of solidarity, of empathy, of compassion.

Red and Blue fans may not sing ‘Merseyside, Merseyside’ as they once did, and they may disagree on most things football, but they never allow the other to suffer alone.

On Hillsborough, they have stood together for 23 years. They always will. The game itself, of course, was always likely to be something of a sideshow, but with four goals, two of them in the dying minutes, a host of missed chances and a series of controversial decisions from the match officials, at least it was an entertaining one.

Everton might have had the game wrapped up by half-time, having tore into their lethargic, disinterested visitors.

Alan Pardew had, cheekily, suggested that Newcastle were operating in a different league to the Toffees last season, and for 45 minutes his words rung true.

Everton, their build-up play swift, crisp and inventive, led through Leighton Baines’ excellently-worked strike on 14 minutes, and should have had been out of sight by the interval. Baines in particular shone, but he was ably assisted by Steven Pienaar, Leon Osman and the lively Kevin Mirallas, making his first league start for the club. All three might have added to the scoreline at various points prior to half-time, while Phil Jagielka struck the outside of a post with an outstanding effort and Nikica Jelavic, who was eventually forced off with a knee injury, had a goal chalked off for offside.

That would be one of the few decisions referee Mike Jones and his assistants Dave Richards and Darren Cann got correct.

For after Ba, introduced as a half-time substitute by a livid Pardew, had levelled within four minutes of the restart (the first goal Everton have conceded at Goodison in more than 11 hours) the officials would first wrongly adjudge Marouane Fellaini to be offside as he converted Pienaar’s sublime reverse pass, and then, worse, fail to spot that Victor Anichebe’s close range header had crossed the line before Mike Williamson could hook the ball clear. Everton had plenty of reason to be infuriated.

Still, Moyes will be disappointed they could not hold on after Anichebe had fired them back ahead two minutes from the end. Instead, they were undone by a routine long punt from Williamson, which allowed Ba to prod a second equaliser past an onrushing Tim Howard in stoppage time.

It was a harsh end to the evening, but it removed none of the shine.

Building upon a highly-promising performance on the field will be Moyes’ main aim before his side travel to face Swansea City this weekend, but off it he will know his club played a blinder.

Merseyside, as it always has been, can be very proud of its footballing community today.

Daily Mail

IT should have been a night when the talk was about enthralling sport, emotional support and a game that epitomised all that is good about English football.

Instead, an old debate has been re-opened and this time, the bodies that govern the game will be under pressure to act fast.

After another calamitous mistake, one which deprived Everton of a richly deserved victory, the clamour for the introduction of goal-line  technology has reached new levels.

The Premier League have said they want to bring it in to play ‘as soon as is practically possible’ and, after this draw, Everton manager David Moyes was asking for it to happen even quicker.

The Scot understandably, was shattered that his team failed  to collect three points from an  absorbing tussle. With better  fortune and arguably better  officiating, Victor Anichebe and Marouane Fellaini would have put Everton out of reach.

‘I thought we had a couple of goals in the game that should have counted,’ said Moyes, referring to a header from Anichebe late in the second half that TV replays clearly showed to have crossed the line, and a strike from Fellaini that was wrongly adjudged offside.

‘The linesman is standing on the line, so you hope he sees it. I don’t know how he has missed them.

‘I told him after the game he had cost us a couple of goals. But there is nothing I can do about it. Technology will eventually come in.’

Significantly, his opposite number was in total agreement.

‘My technical team told me it was over the line,’ said Newcastle boss Alan Pardew, referring to  Anichebe’s 79th-minute header. ‘I have been saying for as long as anyone that technology must come in. It has cost Everton a crucial goal.’

It was such a shame that this topic ended up as the talking point. Everton for much of the contest were outstanding, playing with verve and swagger, but Newcastle made just as big a contribution in the second period.

Here were two fine sides, playing football in the spirit it is intended.

A draw may have been the final outcome, Demba Ba’s double  cancelling out efforts from Leighton Baines and Anichebe, but it was an evening when football emerged  victorious.

Sky commentator Alan Parry lost his sense of perspective straight after the second Everton goal, which looked like being a dramatic late winner.

With the home side having been denied two goals earlier by poor officiating, Parry suggested: 'For the second time on Merseyside this week (it) means that justice has been done.'

Some five seconds later - maybe just long enough for a producer to shout in his ear - he added: 'This one rather more trivial than last week’s verdict.'

This was the first game played on Merseyside since the  revelations about the Hillsborough disaster were published and, as was the case when they provided the opposition for Liverpool in their first game after the tragedy in 1989, Everton covered themselves in glory.

It has been a hugely emotional week on Merseyside. For all the joy and relief that came from Liverpool fans being exonerated by the Hillsborough Independent Panel, there remains pain and disbelief about the horrors that unfolded on the Leppings Lane terrace.

How best to mark the occasion was clearly something Everton had thought long and hard about. The display was wonderfully poignant and dignified without being sentimental and was a fitting tribute to their Red brothers and sisters.

Here, in raw, touching terms, was Merseyside standing united.

It had been mooted that You’ll Never Walk Alone would be played before kick-off but, instead, it was perhaps more fitting that The  Hollies’ He Ain’t Heavy, He’s My Brother rang out when the 96 names were shown on screens at either end of the stadium.

Their tribute was widely  commended and, soon after, so was the football Everton produced.

Newcastle were also very poor.

‘We were shocking,’ fumed Pardew,  who watched the game from the directors’ box, as he was serving the first of a two-game touchline ban. ‘The first half was as bad as we have been in my time here.’

Only a linesman’s flag prevented Everton from taking a third-minute lead but on this occasion the decision was correct. Nikica Jelavic had strayed offside just before Fellaini’s shot had been parried by Harper.

The reprieve was only temporary as Baines gave Everton a 15th-minute lead. He exchanged passes with Fellaini before doing likewise with Steven Pienaar before smashing a drive beyond Harper.

Everton wasted good chances before the break and they were made to pay shortly after it when Ba, who came on as a substitute for Sylvain Marveaux, swept in after some poor defending.

But Everton came back and, as Moyes said, should have been rewarded only for Fellaini to be wrongly ruled offside when running on to a Pienaar pass and then the same assistant, Ceri Richards,  failing to spot Anichebe’s header crossing the line.

When Anichebe pounced in the 88th minute, it looked as if Everton had got their rewards but Ba had the final word, applying the  dramatic end to a whirlwind night.

Daily Telegraph

David Moyes and Alan Pardew agreed the sooner goal-line technology is introduced, the better, after a controversial draw at Goodison Park.

Victor Anichebe was denied a valid goal on 79 minutes as Everton and Newcastle played out an entertaining 2-2 draw.

“If you’re the linesman running the line, you’d hope he sees the ball cross the line, that’s their job. You would hope he would see that,” said Moyes.

“There are two goals they missed but I can’t get them back. I don’t know how the linesman missed them. I had a word there, not ranting and raving, I just said 'hey you missed two goals’. I thought we had another goal in the game that should have counted but didn’t because it was ruled offside. It does affect the outcome of the game. What can I do about it? We all know the tools will come in eventually.”

Pardew agreed his side was fortunate to escape that decision, but believed his team’s fightback after the incident meant they merited a point.

“I’ve been saying for a long time we need technology. It cost Everton a goal tonight,” said Pardew.

Pardew’s saw striker Demba Ba come off the bench to equalise twice, and he defended his decision not to start with him. “Well he got two goals and could have had a hat-trick. Sometimes players play well when they’re angry,” he said.

Before kick-off, Moyes led Everton’s tributes to the victims of Hillsborough, branding the 23-year cover-up of the disaster “disgraceful”. Club rivalries were set aside as Everton took their first opportunity to acknowledge the significance of last week’s statement on the true causes of the 1989 disaster that led to the death of 96 Liverpool supporters.

“I believe everybody in the world of football will have been shocked by the wrongdoings surrounding Hillsborough which were exposed last week,” said Moyes.

“I, and everybody at Everton, stand alongside the families who for so long have challenged the authorities over what has now been proved a travesty. I am not only a football manager, I am a football supporter and a father and I applaud the families who continued to fight for the ones they loved.

“The outcome was nothing short of disgraceful. We have all been brought up to believe and trust in authority. The authorities who were responsible for ensuring the safety of supporters that afternoon let themselves down, as have the government parties who have been in power since. Praise must go to Andy Burnham and the families for getting disclosure.”

Everton played a poignant song He Ain’t Heavy, He’s My Brother by The Hollies while the names of all the victims were displayed on the stadium screens, alongside the slogan 'justice for the 96’.

Daily Mirror

Everton were denied victory by the incompetence of the match officials - and by the typical drama that makes us love English football.

But after a week in which true justice could at last begin to be served to those most deserving, they will not complain too loudly this morning.

At Goodison on a poignant evening, we saw dignity from the Blues with an emotional tribute to the 96 who died through criminal negligence at Hillsborough.

And when the game that followed unfurled in the fitting, characteristically passionate manner of the Premier League, they showed similar poise in accepting victory was not theirs after two controversial decisions from the officials, and then one final, cruel twist of fate as Newcastle equalised in the final seconds of a wonderful game.

It is hard to know where to start with this match, but where it ended was with drama, entertainment and a draw which a poor Newcastle team didn’t warrant.

Twice, referee Mike Jones and his assistants denied Everton what looked an obvious goal - the second a shocking decision when Victor Anichebe’s shot had clearly crossed the line - but unbowed, the home side fought valiantly to set up the most thrilling of finales.

They kept battling even after those setbacks, with reserves of the spirit for which their team is renowned, to take what seemed a brilliant, pulsating victory two minutes from time when substitute Anichebe struck a wonderful cross-shot from the left.

Sometimes though, these things are not to be.

Even as the sense of relief echoed around Goodison, Newcastle mustered one final inelegant lump down the pitch - the limit of their ambition all evening - and Shola Ameobi flicked on for substitute Demba Ba to steer home his second of the evening.

It was unfair on Everton, but let us not talk about justice, not after the prelude to this game that inspired the home team to a wonderfully passionate performance.

They played, of course, as though they meant to do their city proud, and the people of their city proud, as the strains of He Ain’t Heavy, He’s My Brother, echoed around the famous old stadium.

It is a credit to the club and their fans that they have always stood beside their brethren from across the park in the fight for justice, despite their natural rivalry elsewhere, and you knew they would hit the right note here, after such a difficult week for the city of Liverpool.

On the pitch too, they found the perfect tone, if not the perfect result, one of commitment to the sport people love.

Within two minutes, Everton had found the net through Nikica Jelavic, only to be denied by an offside flag.

That decision was correct, but on the hour, with the scores level and Newcastle clinging on, Marouane Fellaini raced onto a superb pass from Steven Pienaar to finish with assurance, only to be pulled up for an offside flag clearly raised in error.

Worse was to follow.

Another Everton attack, another chance, and this time Anichebe bundled the ball at least another foot over the line, but again Mr Jones decided against the goal, much to the chagrin of the home fans.

That drama seemed impossible in the first half as the Blues dominated and took a lead on 15 minutes when the excellent Leighton Baines traded passes with his left flank sidekick Pienaar, to fire a fine shot into the far corner.

Further chances came, twice to the impressive Kevin Mirallas, to Fellaini and to Phil Jagileka - a ferocious shot from distance that deserved more than to flick the foot of the post.

But at this level, failure to finish off opponents comes with a severe tariff, and Everton paid it when the visitors exploited a mistake in midfield by the struggling Leon Osman.

He gave the ball away, Newcastle transferred it upfield, and Ba showed just how wrong his manager Alan Pardew was to confine him to the bench in the first half, by finding space at the far post to fire home.

No matter for Everton, they kept going, kept fighting, and took what thought must surely be the winner despite the best efforts of the officials, when Anichebe took the ball on the left, drove inside and produced the perfect finish.

But if Everton had a weakness, it was their tendency to panic under aimless long balls, and that cost them with seconds remaining, as Ba made the case so eloquently against his own manager with one last act of drama on a night overflowing with it.

Daily Mirror

David Moyes has attacked the authorities for betraying the 96 victims of Hillsborough.

On a night when Goodison Park paid its own emotional tribute to the Liverpool fans who died in the 1989 tragedy, Moyes laid into the establishment for letting them and their families down.

The Everton boss claimed he was stunned by the extent of the cover-up, which was finally revealed last week, branding it "a travesty".

Writing in his programme notes for his side's 2-2 draw with Newcastle, Moyes said: "I believe everybody in the world of football will have been shocked by the wrongdoings surrounding Hillsborough, which were exposed last week.

"As part of the football family, I, and everybody at Everton, stand alongside the families who for so long have challenged the authorities over what has now been proved a travesty.

"I am not only a football manager, I'm a football supporter and a father, and I applaud the families who continued to fight for the ones they loved.

"The outcome was nothing short of disgraceful. We have all been brought up to believe and trust in authority.

"The authorities who were responsible for ensuring the safety of supporters that afternoon let themselves down, as have the government parties, who have been in power since."

Everton were led out by a girl in a Blues strip wearing No 9 and, standing to her right, a boy in Liverpool colours with the No 6 on his back to represent the victims.

Everyone then applauded as the faces and names of the 96 were displayed on Goodison's two big screens to The Hollies' He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother.

Twenty-three years on and it is clear that Hillsborough remains painfully raw for everyone in Merseyside's footballing family.


George Onasreally whats goin on with's a serious injury?

Wednesday 19th September 22:14 Report Comment

Thomas MannWhoever thought of playing that song and kitting out the two kids in that kit deserves congratulations,it was magnificent!

Wednesday 19th September 21:54 Report Comment

Thomas MannWhoever thought of playing that song and kitting out the two kids in that kit deserves congratulations,it was magnificent!

Wednesday 19th September 21:53 Report Comment

Andrew ThomasSo proud to be an Evertonian such class passion and compasion. justice for the 96 bring it on!

Wednesday 19th September 03:23 Report Comment

alan thomasi am so proud to be a scouser and even more proud to be an evertonian

Tuesday 18th September 19:10 Report Comment

Mick FergusonThe Club, Players and Fans did us proud last night -Justice will prevail

Tuesday 18th September 13:56 Report Comment


Everton Season Ticket holders can list their seat for any Barclays Premier League game that they can’t attend on StubHub, the Official Ticket Marketplace

Find out more
Match Highlights Archive

Match Highlights Archive

Watch highlights from classic and recent Everton games on evertontv.

Find out more
2014/15 Season Tickets

2014/15 Season Tickets

All the information you could need about securing your seat at Goodison.

Find out more
Shop Online

Shop Online

Buy Everton merchandise on our online store.

Find out more
History Timeline

History Timeline

A quick visual walk through Everton's rich and fascinating history.

Find out more

This site uses cookies. Click here to learn more.