Matchday Updates

Listen Live
  • 34
  • 3

What The Papers Say - Nov 20

A summary of the Everton news in the Sunday papers

What The Papers Say  - Nov 20

The views below are taken from the local and national newspapers and do not necessarily reflect those of Everton.

Sunday Mirror



Everton chairman Bill ­Kenwright insisted last night he would find the backer to put the club back among the Premier League’s heavyweights.

Disgruntled fans staged ­another protest before the 2-1 home win against Wolves, chanting: “Kenwright out.”

But the target of their anger maintained he was doing all he could to bring in the funds ­manager David Moyes needs to reinforce his squad.

Kenwright said: “I’m ­searching very hard for a wealthy ­benefactor and I’ll find one.

“I am doing all I can to provide the wealth this club and David Moyes need.

“The doomsayers can say what they want, but this is a great football club and all that ­matters is what happens on the pitch.

“Today we came from behind for a great win.”

Sunday Mirror


Leighton Baines ultimately fended off the Wolves and the hounds, but no one in these parts will be fooled into thinking that Everton’s problems have been solved.

They had to come from a goal behind to secure only their second league win of the season and stem the growing discontent of their fans.

Phil Jagielka atoned for early uncertainty to equalise after Stephen Hunt had ­hammered in a penalty.

Yet Wolves’ defenders resisted everything Everton could muster until they, too, gave away a penalty and Baines claimed the three points.

Moyes saluted the application of his defenders – notably Jagielka, who had an injection in his fractured toe to skipper the team.

He said: “Jagielka will have to keep having injections to play because we can’t afford to give him any time off.

“The points were vital and we deserved them. We didn’t deserve to be a goal down and I can’t remember another chance Wolves had. There were three penalty shouts, two were given. Cahill was held back.”

Wolves manager Mick McCarthy unsurprisingly had a conflicting opinion. He said: “We deserved a point and their penalty was very soft.

If Ward was trying to pick Saha’s wallet he wouldn’t have gone down as easy.”

The day had started with another protest from disgruntled supporters. A group of 250 marched on Goodison calling for chairman Bill ­Kenwright to go.

If the club had some relief in the return from suspension of Marouane Fellaini, newly committed to a five-year ­contract, it was countered by an injury that forced out new England star Jack Rodwell.

Fellaini was soon involved, sorting out a self-inflicted mess in the Everton defence that had Moyes up on his feet remonstrating.

A semblance of order ­restored in the home ranks, and they almost went ahead in the 16th minute. Tim Cahill headed down Seamus Coleman’s centre, Louis Saha volleyed the ball into the ground and Wayne Hennessey acrobatically tipped over.

The Frenchman was cleverly set up again only for his effort to be deflected wide.

Just when it seemed Everton were building momentum, they conceded a penalty. David Edwards tumbled under Fellaini’s tentative challenge, referee Jon Moss pointed to the spot and Hunt converted.

Everton’s response was ­immediate. Baines delivered the inviting free-kick and ­Jagielka climbed above the old gold wall to equalise.

A perfectly timed tackle by Christophe Berra denied Royston Drenthe and Cahill pleaded in vain for a penalty in a frenetic end to the half.

Hennessey parried Fellaini’s strike and Cahill appeared to be held back by Karl Henry as he attempted to pounce on the rebound.

Everton resumed their assault after the break and Fellaini shot over as Wolves’ defenders converged on him. But Wolves saw out the storm and Everton began to run out of ideas.

Cahill had a good chance following Coleman’s surging run and Saha’s flick on, but Stephen Ward blocked the Australian’s attempt.

Drenthe then muscled his way into a promising position but again wasted the chance.

However, Everton’s persistence was eventually rewarded when Ward bundled over Saha and Baines stroked home the winner.

VERDICT: Everton just about deserved their win but were unconvincing, while Wolves were reminded they face another season of struggle to stay up.

The People



BATTLING Phil Jagielka again showed why he is the man Everton cannot do without.

Seven days after helping England topple world champions Spain at Wembley, the defender was on target to set the Toffees on their way to a much-needed victory – all while nursing a broken toe.

The defender has not trained since starring in England’s 1-0 win but he was at his inspirational best against an equally-dogged Wolves.

Everton boss David Moyes said: “At the moment he is having an injection before every game.

“He has a hairline fracture in his small toe. It is not a full crack but you have to treat it the same way.

“You can jab it and numb it before the game but it is not allowing him to train. All his work is done in the gym, on the bike and in the swimming pool to keep him as fit as we can until he’s healed. But I can’t afford him to take a break.

“As long as he doesn’t displace it – that would be a problem. That is why there was a bit of a risk in the England game.


“If he plays for us and he gets injured, then OK, we are taking that risk. But if you are playing for your country and we lost him for four to six weeks it would be tough to take.”

It took goals from two defenders to move Everton away from the relegation zone, and their lack of firepower is an ongoing concern. Jagielka and Leighton Baines are now leading scorers with two goals each.

Goalkeeper Wayne Hennessey collected a stream of crosses throughout the first half as Everton’s route of attack became more and more predictable.

And when Seamus Coleman’s 16th-minute delivery travelled beyond the far post for Tim Cahill to nod down, Hennessey spectacularly tipped Louis Saha’s volley over the top.

Wolves took a surprise 37th-minute lead, however, after referee Jon Moss spotted Marouane Fellaini’s trip on David Edwards.

Fellaini, with a haircut as famous as that of his fellow Belgian Tintin, signed a new five-year contract this week, talking of good times ahead. But things began badly when he danced across the fringe of the area, and trod on his opponent’s foot.

Stephen Hunt rammed his penalty down the middle to beat Tim Howard. Resilient Everton produced a typically stout response, and, within seven minutes, captain Jagielka, who kept Xavi and Co at bay last Saturday, popped up at the other end and hauled them level.

Jagielka’s desire was evident in the way he attacked Baines’ 44th-minute free-kick. Opposite number Roger Johnson was sucked under the flight of the ball and it skimmed off Jagielka’s head and beyond Hennessey.

Everton were then denied the chance to turn things around before the break when Moss was the only man inside Goodison who did not see Cahill yanked by Karl Henry in the area.

Moyes said: “We certainly didn’t deserve to be a goal down in the first half.”

Everton’s fans, 250 of whom protested against chairman Bill Kenwright before kick-off, turned their attention to the official as the teams marched down the tunnel.

But after Stephen Ward and Hennessey combined to snuff out Cahill’s close-range effort 20 minutes from the end – the most clear-cut chance of the game – Moss penalised Ward for jostling with Saha at a corner.

Baines stepped up to send Hennessey the wrong way, and there was no way back for shot-shy Wolves.

“If he was trying to nick Saha’s wallet he wouldn’t have gone down so easy,” said Wolves boss Mick McCarthy. “It exacerbated the disappointment.

“We have not peppered their goal but neither did they ours.”

Moyes revealed England new-boy Jack Rodwell could be out for several weeks.

Midfield dynamo Rodwell incurred a rib injury against Sweden in midweek and missed his club’s first home win for two months as a result.

The Observer



Everton have started badly for the past three seasons before recovering for a top-eight finish. Few seriously expect them to have the resources to repeat the feat but at least they are finally off and running after a late penalty by Leighton Baines gave them only their second home victory of the season.

They had been fourth from bottom at kick-off, part of a troubled quartet of the north-west's less moneyed. Stephen Ward pushed Louis Saha from Baines's corner, the left-back struck the penalty with deadly accuracy and relief abounded at Goodison. The Wolves manager, Mick McCarthy, called it "a soft goal," and he had a point.

"The lads deserved a lot of credit for clawing the game back," said David Moyes, his Everton counterpart. The recovery began with a headed equaliser late in the first half by Everton's England centre-back Phil Jagielka, who needs an injection before every match because of a hairline fracture in a big toe.

Everton had not won at home since they beat Wigan. Wolves had not won away since they won at Wigan. One thing was certain; it did not look good for Wigan. There was a pre-match protest against the Everton chairman, Bill Kenwright, and approximately 250 turned out to vent their feelings. Kenwright's theatrical website is promoting Blood Brothers. The musical begins with someone bemoaning they can no longer pay the bills. Kenwright could sing along to that one. The first half meandered along without a good tune in sight before Wolves took a 37th-minute lead with a penalty of their own.

David Edwards was running across the line of the penalty area, away from goal, any threat not evident, but Marouane Fellaini caught his ankles. A straightforward penalty award from the referee Jonathan Moss cast general disillusionment upon Goodison Park. Stephen Hunt struck the kick hard and straight and it did the job well enough.

Fellaini, the Belgian midfield player, must have felt he deserved better fortune after signing a long-term contract with Everton this week, amid professions of loyalty. "I am happy with my team-mates, the manager, the chairman and the direction of the club," he said. "If Everton didn't have ambition I wouldn't have signed."

This undiluted show of faith suggested that Fellaini must be the most contented man on the blue side of Stanley Park, a player whose faith remained undiminished. It invited the question what other things he might believe in. That Belgium was famous perhaps, that the euro is in sound health and that there will always be lashings of ginger beer for tea.

Jagielka's headed equaliser after 44 minutes, from Baines's free-kick from the left, roused Everton. They mustered more threat in added time than they had throughout the rest of the first half. Christophe Berra's saving tackle snuffed out Royston Drenthe's threat just in time and Everton might also have had a penalty when Tim Cahill, only three yards out as Baines's corner fell his way, tumbled under Karl Henry's challenge.

Wolves' solidity departed with the loss of Richard Stearman. He was spat at earlier this month by Wigan's Antolín Alcaraz, and he was victim again, this time to something more shuddering, a crashing midfield challenge from Cahill which caused a prolonged stoppage before he left the field clutching a broken forearm. "Cahill hadn't a chance of winning the ball, but there was no ill intent. It was two tough lads competing for the ball," said McCarthy with admirable even-handedness.

When Séamus Coleman tricked his way past George Elokobi on Wolves' left it almost brought an Everton winner. Saha's shot was blocked and Cahill, again sensing a quick kill from a few yards out, was this time thwarted by a desperate tackle from Ward.

Ward's next contribution was to prove less timely, the one blemish on what had been a fine display. "Wardy's been magnificent," said McCarthy, who was not about to hear a word against his luckless defender.

Star on Sunday



Everton manager David Moyes admitted securing three points with a 2-1 win against Wolves was far more important than the performance.

Having gone behind to Stephen Hunt's penalty, Phil Jagielka's header equalised just before half-time but it was not until seven minutes before the final whistle that Leighton Baines stroked home from the spot to secure the Toffees' first home win since mid-September.

"The points were all-important today," he said. "The way we went about it and how we got there was relevant but not as relevant as getting the three points and I think we deserved it in the end."

He added: "I thought we played well in the first half; we got some crosses in and some were good and some weren't and we got the ball in the box and didn't finish it off.

"Then before we knew it we had given away a penalty and I thought 'here we go again' but all credit to the lads for getting a goal back before half-time.

"That was really vital. We needed to find a goal from somewhere and we looked like we were huffing and puffing. We ended up winning the game with two set-pieces: a free-kick and a penalty."

Prior to kick off there had been another march by supporters' group Blue Union to protest about stagnation at the club in relation to finding a new buyer and outside investment which, according to Merseyside Police, numbered about 250. But Moyes was impressed with the support for his team inside the stadium.

"I thought the crowd were great and kept with the players," he said. "There were times in the second half when we went long a bit sooner than we should have but the players are anxious as well.

"They were well aware how important three points were today. The players kept going. We had tried to get it wide and crossed but often too close to the goalkeeper or crossed too early and from that it started to drain some confidence.

"It didn't look as if anyone would see the final ball in the net but thankfully we got the penalty kick and that won us the game."

The Sunday Telegraph



If you listen carefully, you can almost hear the ticking as you approach Goodison Park. There’s a time bomb ready to detonate at the slightest hint of an intolerable Everton setback.

Much to the relief of chairman Bill Kenwright, victory over Wolverhampton Wanderers helped ensure that the only emotional explosions at full-time were of a jubilant nature as Leighton Baines’s late penalty guided Everton away from the drop zone.

There remains an overriding feeling this win has delayed, rather than appeased, the rising tide of rebellion. Around 500 irate fans gathered outside the main stand before kick-off, their placards and chants demanding the exit of Kenwright.

It must be acknowledged that many more walked past disinterested, some of them muttering less-than-supportive words about the protesters. In the battle for the hearts and minds of Everton Football Club, there may be no winner, just the debris of a divided fan base with different theories about how to achieve the same goal.

“I am searching for a wealthy benefactor and I will find one,” was the message from Kenwright after the game. “The doomsayers can say what they want but this is a great football club and what matters most is what happens on the pitch. What happened today is we won.”

If there is a unifying force, apart from an as yet unknown rich new owner, it has always been manager David Moyes.

He sounded as upbeat as he has for a while prior to Wolverhampton Wanderers’ visit. That may have been due to the victory of his horse Desert Cry at Haydock on Friday.

More likely it was the fact that Everton had been able to sign up Marouane Fellaini on a new five-year deal, preserving midfield foundations that Moyes believes can yield success, with or without a massive injection of funds.

Yet Fellaini would only have incurred Moyes’s ire when the Belgian clumsily tripped David Edwards in the 36th minute to gift Wolves a penalty, which Stephen Hunt dispatched emphatically.

That prompted inevitable unease in the home ranks, but Phil Jagielka’s bullet header a minute before half-time, courtesy of the outstanding Baines’s free kick, restored some order.

Everton should have been given the chance to claim the lead from the penalty spot before half-time when Tim Cahill was wrestled to the floor by Karl Henry.

Referee John Moss made amends seven minutes from the end. His decision to award Everton a penalty for Stephen Ward’s shove on Louis Saha could certainly be categorised as generous. Baines did the rest.

“It was an extremely soft penalty. Saha wouldn’t have gone down any easier if he’d nicked his wallet,” complained Wolves manager Mick McCarthy.

“I’m disappointed because I thought we were worth a point and looked comfortable after we’d scored.”

Wolves, who lost Richard Stearman to a suspected broken wrist in the second half, had Wayne Hennessey to thank for keeping Everton’s attack at bay in the second half, until Baines’s late penalty. “It was a really important win for us,” said Moyes, whose side missed the presence of Jack Rodwell, absent with a rib injury.

“There was a big penalty shout for us in the first half which was not given. There were three in the game and two were given. We certainly didn’t deserve to be a goal down and we always looked most likely to win.”

It won’t end the discontent at Everton but, from Kenwright’s point of view, at least it kept the protests outside the confines of the stadium for the time being.

The Independant on Sunday


It was not pretty but that will have mattered not one jot to David Moyes after his team ground out only their second home League victory of the season. Everton had to do it the hard way, coming from behind in front of a nervy crowd after Wolves had gone in front through Stephen Hunt's 37th-minute penalty.

Although Jack Rodwell, Goodison's new England midfielder, was absent with the rib injury sustained against Sweden, his international team-mates Phil Jagielka and Leighton Baines were the men who turned the game around, Jagielka equalising on the stroke of half-time before Baines' late penalty winner. "It was a really important win, the points were vital for us," said Moyes. "The game was tight and we ended up winning it with two set pieces."

Everton were on a run of five defeats in six before yesterday and the mood was not helped by an embarrassing leak of internal club emails 48 hours before this game which, if authentic, suggest worrying divisions in the corridors of power at Goodison.

There was also a pre-match protest march organised by the Blue Union, the group of supporters unhappy with owner Bill Kenwright's failure to attract fresh investment, although Kenwright responded to his detractors in the press room afterwards, telling reporters about discussions with a number of parties. "I'm searching hard for a wealthy benefactor," he said. "I am searching hard and I will find one." Either way, the pressure was on Moyes's players to bring some much-needed cheer but it was not immediately forthcoming.

Everton threatened only once in the first half-hour, with a Louis Saha shot tipped over by Wayne Hennessey. The opening goal arrived at the other end when Marouane Fellaini, who signed a new five-year contract on Thursday, committed a daft trip on David Edwards just inside the Everton area and Hunt drove his spot-kick high down the middle of the goal.

Everton equalised just before the break when Baines swung over a free-kick from 35 yards out and Jagielka got above the old gold shirts to divert the ball past Hennessey, the ball flying in off the side of his head. With Sylvain Distin injured, Moyes admitted he cannot afford to rest Jagielka who is not training in the week because of a hairline fracture of his little toe.

Everton might have had a penalty soon after when Karl Henry held Tim Cahill back as he looked to turn in the rebound after Hennessey's save from Fellaini. Referee Jon Moss ignored that appeal but instead pointed to the spot with seven minutes remaining when Saha went down under a challenge from Stephen Ward as a Baines corner came into the box. Mick McCarthy, the Wolves manager, said: "Apart from it not being a corner, it was extremely soft, I thought."

McCarthy also lost the defender Richard Stearman to a serious-looking injury after a collision with Cahill in the second half. "He's brokenhis arm or his wrist," he said.

If lacking inspiration, Everton just about deserved their victory, having gradually built up pressure on Wolves' goal in the second half. Cahill was foiled by a combination of Ward and Hennessey when he looked certain to score from six yards while Saha had a snapshot deflected wide shortlybefore Baines' penalty.

"It was great credit to the lads that they kept going – they deserved it," said Moyes.

Daily Mail


David Moyes' revelation that England debutant Jack Rodwell could be out for several weeks took the edge off what was only Everton's second home win of the season and their second in seven matches.

But the much-needed victory was manna from heaven for under-fire chairman Bill Kenwright, subject of another pre-match demonstration from the Blue Union group of disgruntled supporters, who marched outside the main entrance chanting: 'We want Kenwright out.'

Kenwright said: 'I am looking for a rich benefactor and I am looking hard. I will find one. The doomsayers can say what they want, but I believe we are running this club in the right way. And what matters most is what happens on the pitch, where we came back from a goal down today. That makes reading your Sunday papers much more pleasant.'

Rodwell injured a rib making his first start for England against Sweden on Tuesday.
Manager Moyes said: 'We're not sure if it was caused by a blow or a twist. If it was a twist he could be out for weeks.'

Phil Jagielka, who also shone on international duty despite his toe injury, needed a pain-killing injection to play again yesterday but Moyes said: 'They were happy to play for England and I was happy for them.'

Referee Jon Moss, officiating in only his third Premier League match of the season, penalised Marouane Fellaini for a trip on David Edwards after 37 minutes, giving Stephen Hunt the opportunity to shoot Wolves ahead from the penalty spot.

Another of Everton's England players, full-back Leighton Baines, set up the equaliser after 44 minutes with a superb free-kick that was headed past Wayne Hennessey by Jagielka.

Referee Moss missed a blatant penalty-box offence by Wolves' Karl Henry, who pulled back Tim Cahill seconds before the half-time whistle.

But the West Yorkshire official stunned Stephen Ward when he pointed to the spot after a push on Louis Saha with seven minutes remaining.

Moss waved aside the Wolves protests and Baines hammered home the spot-kick to bring a sour end to an otherwise wonderful week for Hunt, Ward and striker Kevin Doyle, who helped the Republic of Ireland qualify for Euro 2012.

Wolves boss Mick McCarthy said: 'I think if he had been trying to pick Saha's wallet, he would not have gone down so easily.'

Sunday Express



THERE were protests before the game, there was jubilation afterwards. When Everton needed a lift, their England connection came good.

Not Jack Rodwell, who missed out with a rib injury suffered on international duty that may yet keep him out for several weeks.

Instead, Phil Jagielka and Leighton Baines got the goals to provide light amid the Goodison Park gloom.

Centre-back Jagielka helped thwart world champions Spain despite a broken toe last weekend. Left-back Baines put in a solid 90 minutes on Tuesday against Sweden.

Neither had their best-ever game yesterday, but both made a difference when it really mattered. And for Everton, it really mattered.

The team have been struggling for points. The board are scrambling for cash. Some supporters want chairman Bill Kenwright to go.

Around 250 of them marched past Goodison before kick-off demanding Kenwright sell up.

Investors, though, are thin on the ground. For now, Everton will have to get by on the spirit typified by Jagielka, who continues to play through the pain for his manager, David Moyes.

“He’s got a hairline fracture in his small toe,” Moyes said. “If you jab it, you can numb it for the game.

“But it’s not allowing him to train during the week.

“All his work’s being done in the gym, on the bike and in the swimming pool, really, to keep him as fit as he can, until the fracture has healed.”

Moyes needed Jagielka’s sacrifice. Trailing to a Stephen Hunt penalty, Everton faced a sixth defeat in seven Premier League games.

His centre-back lifted the mood, however. Moments before half-time, he headed a Baines free-kick past Wayne Hennessey.

The winner came with six minutes left, and it completed a mixed week for Wolves full-back Stephen Ward.

Four days earlier, Ward had scored for the Republic of Ireland against Estonia to seal a passage to Euro 2012. With 20 minutes to go at Goodison Park, he somehow blocked Tim Cahill’s effort on the line.
But as time ran out, Ward shoved Everton striker Louis Saha at a Baines corner, referee Jon Moss pointed to the spot for the second time, and Baines scored.

“Apart from it not being a corner in the first place, which it wasn’t, the penalty was extremely soft,” said Wolves boss Mick McCarthy.

“I think if Wardy was trying to nick Saha’s wallet, he wouldn’t go down as easily.” Yet for Moyes, it felt like justice. His team should have had a penalty in first-half stoppage time, moments after Jagielka’s equaliser, when Karl Henry dragged back Cahill. Moss saw nothing wrong. At that stage, Everton must have feared one of those days, at the end of one of those weeks.

The mood of crisis before the game had been further deepened by the alleged leaking of private e-mails sent from the account of Everton’s director of communications, Ian Ross.

alexis leungHold on BK.

Monday 21st November 03:08 Report Comment

Barry DavidInteresting isn't it that only 1% of the crowd were in the protest march !

Sunday 20th November 13:03 Report Comment

Barry DavidInteresting isn't it that only 1% of the crowd were in the protest march !

Sunday 20th November 12:13 Report Comment


Everton Season Ticket holders can list their seat for any Barclays Premier League game that they can’t attend on StubHub, the Official Ticket Marketplace

Find out more
Match Highlights Archive

Match Highlights Archive

Watch highlights from classic and recent Everton games on evertontv.

Find out more
2014/15 Season Tickets

2014/15 Season Tickets

All the information you could need about securing your seat at Goodison.

Find out more
Shop Online

Shop Online

Buy Everton merchandise on our online store.

Find out more
History Timeline

History Timeline

A quick visual walk through Everton's rich and fascinating history.

Find out more

This site uses cookies. Click here to learn more.