What The Papers Say
Reaction to Phil Jagielka's withdrawl from the England squad
The views on this page are taken from the local and national media and do not necessarily reflect the views of Everton.
Phil Jagielka has suffered an injury which solves the dilemma facing Fabio Capello over the England captaincy and his defensive line-up for the Montenegro clash.
Jagielka's emergence as Capello's defensive 'marshal' had placed serious pressure on Rio Ferdinand for a place in the team, in turn pointing towards Steven Gerrard retaining the captaincy for Tuesday's European Championship qualifier.
Ferdinand has only just returned to action for Manchester United after a serious knee injury before the World Cup.
However, Everton defender Jagielka was sent home by FA medical staff on Friday after a scan on the hamstring injury he suffered in training.
He is likely to be out for a month to six weeks, and will be replaced in the England squad by Bolton's Gary Cahill.
If Ferdinand starts on Tuesday there is a good chance he will regain the captain's armband.
Seamus Coleman has credited David Moyes’ firm but fair guidance for helping his dream of playing international football come true.
The 21-year-old was fast-tracked to Republic of Ireland's senior set-up this week, and trained with Giovanni Trapattoni’s squad ahead of last night’s Euro 2012 qualifier against Russia.
Coleman has made two Premier League starts for Everton this season, and credits his meteoric rise to Moyes’ management.
The right-back accepts he still learning and insists he is not getting carried away with his progress.
He said: “He has definitely improved me. He's eased me in. He gives me a lot of advice. I know myself that I'm still learning some parts of the game and that.
“He's a good manager to play under. I obviously have to thank him for getting called into the international set-up.
“You don't want to cross him, but I think that's the way you've got to be as a player anyway.
“You've got to respect your manager and whatever they say you've got to do because they are your boss at the end of the day.
“That's the way I am anyway – if I'm told to do something I'll do it.”
Elsewhere, teenage defender Aristote Nsiala has joined Macclesfield Town on loan.
The 18-year-old, known as Toto, is capable of operating at both right-back and centre-half, and joins the Silkmen on an initial month-long loan.
Macclesfield have just 12 points from their 10 games this season and boss Gary Simpson said: “With the injuries we've had in the defence recently it's no secret that I've been working hard to get someone in to help fill the gaps.
“So I'm delighted to have the lad here at the club. We were looking for someone versatile and he can play across the back – in the middle or at full-back.
“Whilst we've not brought in experience, he's very talented and we'll be giving him a chance to get some competitive football under his belt.”
Nsiala has been a reserve-team regular this season and was on the bench for the first team last season against BATE Borisov.
He played at Anfield last month in the Jamie Carragher testimonial game.
Nsiala's switch is a youth loan, meaning he is still eligible to play for Everton's reserves.
IT’S been one of those weeks when focusing solely on the Blues has not been easy.
There has been so much noise coming from across the park – Everton, it’s fair to say, have not been the story.
With the endless headlines, radio phone-ins and TV debates about the future of Liverpool’s ownership, thoughts naturally stray to the steadier, less troubled yet still complex scenario at Goodison.
The news surrounding Bill Kenwright’s search for fresh investment, or indeed an outright new owner, remains negative.
Ever the optimist, the theatre impresario won’t say it, but it’s fair to wonder whether he’s banging his head against a brick wall.
Somehow, despite the global economy still struggling, Liverpool have attracted at least two serious and respectable bids from would-be new owners.
The list of people queuing up to take over the mantle from Mr Kenwright remains conspicuous by its absence.
The reasons behind the lack of interest are nothing new, even if they remain hard, in some cases impossible, for sections of Everton’s support to swallow.
The club suffer as an attractive brand in relation to their neighbours who carry the civic title and have more silverware in the trophy cabinet.
Then, Everton require a costly new ground as part of the commitment any new owner would be required to make.
So do Liverpool, but they have a ready-made site in Stanley Park and Everton are yet to complete their search for a new list of potential venues after the failure of Destination Kirkby.
Chief executive Robert Elstone rarely hides from the fans’ questions, and admits in his latest blog he is frustrated the club were not able to supply substantial funds to David Moyes this summer.
But he does point the way to a future, without a new owner, that could yet position the Toffees on a more level playing field.
“Our investment in long-term player contracts is substantial and economically we continue to fight our corner and commit to on-field success.
“However, it’s true that like almost all clubs we are feeling the squeeze from certain competitors and the recession.
“An interesting ‘economic’ development over the next few seasons will be the introduction of UEFA’s Financial Fair Play rules which will prevent clubs from playing in UEFA competitions unless they can prove broadly, they ‘live within their means’.”