Title-Winning Captain's Achievements Honoured With Headstone

Watch 6 pre-season games LIVE on evertontv...

Free for Official Members!

> Become A Member
> But A Match Pass
> More Info

The Everton Heritage Society, in conjunction with Everton Football Club, erected a headstone at the grave of one of the Club’s former captains.

Representatives from the Club and its Heritage Society honoured Andrew Hannah who captained Everton to their first Football League Championship in the 1890/91 season.

The ceremony took place at Kilbowie Cemetry, Monroe Street, Clydebank, Scotland, G81 2PD at midday on Saturday 24 March.

Brendan Connolly, Chairman of the EFC Heritage Society said: "It was a lovely event and a fitting tribute to one of the most important footballing figures of his generation.

"I would like to thank Everton Football Club for their continued support of the Society, particularly Ian Snodin who travelled to represent the Club.

"Tony Onslow of the EFC Heritage Society, assisted by his good friend, Willie McLatchie, undertook many hours of research to allow us to prepare for the event.

"It was a privilege to meet Andrew's descendants and to honour their relative on a day when even the Glasgow weather was kind to us."

Born of Irish parentage on 17 September 1864, at Renton, Dunbartonshire, Hannah started his football career playing at full-back with the Renton club. He was in the side that beat Vale of Leven 3-1 in the 1885 Scottish FA Cup final and when they lifted the trophy for a second time in 1888 with a 6-1 win over Cambuslang.

On 3 March that year, he won his only international cap when he represented Scotland in a 5-1 win over Wales at Easter Road, Edinburgh.

On 27 April 1888, Hannah married Jessie Thompson and listed his occupation as being a dairyman. The next month, he played for Renton, Scottish Cup winners, in an exhibition match for a Pewter Trophy against the English FA Cup holders West Bromwich Albion at Hampden Park. The game was billed as the ‘Unofficial World Championship’ with Renton running out 4-1 winners.

Hannah later signed for the West Midlands club but failed to settle and quickly returned home.

On 23 March 1889, he arrived in Liverpool with the Renton team for a game against Everton that drew a crowd of more than 12,000 spectators to Anfield. Everton won 2-1, but Hannah must have impressed as he signed for Everton shortly after. He played 42 league and FA Cup games for the Club in a two-year spell finishing as league runner-up in his first season and captaining the side to a league championship in his second.

Having initially returned to Renton for one more season, Hannah was then persuaded to join the newly-formed Liverpool Football Club. He captained them to both the Lancashire League and Football League Division 2 championships but tasted the bitterness of relegation before he returned to Scotland where he signed for Clyde.

Andrew Hannah died, on 29 May 1940, at the Western Infirmary in Glasgow. He was buried in an unmarked grave which will now carry a new headstone to mark his achievements in the game.

Related Tags

Official Member, Season Ticket Holder or Lounge Member? 

Login then click HERE to check out the latest exclusive content, including The Everton Show Extra, Everton Podcast and The Ambassador Show.


View More
  • What's In Store For Official Everton Members This Weekend
  • Watch: Connolly On The Battle To Be One Of Silva's Blues
  • George And Magill Excited To Debut New Kit
  • WATCH: The New 2018/19 Away Kit
  • Watch: Bury v Everton Match Highlights
  • WATCH: The Best Of Tim Cahill