Five Memorable Wins Against Palace

Everton travel to Crystal Palace on Saturday following a 13-day break from Premier League action and seeking to capitalise on a spirit-raising victory over Watford prior to the international break.

The Blues were in a rich vein of form when they last visited Selhurst Park back in January, with Seamus Coleman’s dramatic 87th-minute goal sealing a fourth win in five top-flight outings – and contributing to a run of nine league matches without defeat.

Everton’s rivalry with Palace is a relatively modern affair, given the south London club first played in English football’s top tier in 1969.

Nevertheless, the two teams have fought out some terrific league and cup encounters through the years - and has selected five of the best…

Everton 5-0 Crystal Palace, 20 September 1980

Bob Latchford netted the joint-second quickest hat-trick in Everton’s history as Gordon Lee’s Blues thrashed Crystal Palace at Goodison Park.

After a goalless first half, Latchford sparked the contest into life with three strikes in the space of 10 minutes.

Only Bobby Irvine has managed a quicker treble in an Everton shirt when he notched three within the space of five minutes against Aston Villa in 1922, while Dixie Dean also managed a 10-minute hat-trick when the Toffees faced Chelsea on home soil in 1931.  

Latchford’s goals against the Londoners saw him surpass Joe Royle’s 102 league goals to become Everton’s record post-war league scorer.

Graeme Sharp later took over the record and remains the holder on 111.

Crystal Palace 1-4 Everton, 10 November 1993

The initial tie of this League Cup third round at Goodison Park would have perhaps merited its own spot in this list without the ruthless fashion in which the Toffees put away their hosts in the replay.

Everton had trailed 2-0 after 55 minutes on home turf, with Palace defensive duo Andy Thorn and Gareth Southgate scoring in quick succession immediately following the interval.

But Peter Beagrie swiftly cut the deficit, before Dave Watson bundled home deep into stoppage time to send the teams back to Selhurst Park.

Palace – Division 1 (today’s Championship) winners in 1993-94 - got the jump on Everton once more in the replay, with current England manager Southgate inflicting a 20th-minute blow on Howard Kendall’s side.

Anything Southgate could do, though, Watson could do better, the Toffees’ title-winning trojan playing the proverbial captain’s knock and scoring either side of the interval.

Mark Ward crashed home a penalty with eight minutes to play, and there remained time for another centre-half to add his name to the scoresheet – albeit Palace’s angular Welsh international Eric Young turned into his own net to complete a comprehensive success for Kendall’s men.

Crystal Palace 1-3 Everton, 10 January 1998

This was the season when Everton retained their Premier League status by the skinniest of margins, the Toffees surviving by dint of boasting a superior goal difference to Bolton Wanderers.

By extension, every single point won and every single goal scored in this campaign would prove essential in the extreme.
This match, then, can rightly assume its place as one of the most vital in the Club’s history, given it yielded three points, a favourable bump in goal difference and sparked a four-match unbeaten run.

Everton were two goals to the good inside 12 minutes, with Nick Barmby and Duncan Ferguson the men responsible for the Blues’ electric start.

Barmby finished coolly after being released by Craig Short, via a cute Ferguson step-over, with Ferguson then meeting a Tony Thomas cross to head home in typically emphatic fashion.

Palace were handed a route back into the match when Slaven Bilic was penalised for a foul in the box on Bruce Dyer, who gathered himself to steer the consequent penalty beyond Thomas Myhre in Everton’s goal.

No matter, Everton had an enigmatic Frenchman making his debut – and it fell to Mikael Madar to restore his team’s two goal advantage, when he swept home Tony Grant’s 34th-minute free-kick.

Crystal Palace 1-3 Everton, 21 August 2004

Another trip to Palace and another 3-1 triumph for the visitors from Merseyside. This match represented the capital club’s first at home in the Premier League for five years, after they had toppled West Ham United in the previous season’s First Division play-off final.

Iain Dowie’s team had enjoyed a steady start to life back in the top-flight, with Andy Johnson’s goal securing a point from a testing first-day match at Norwich City.

Everton, meanwhile, were being written off as relegation candidates in many quarters. David Moyes’ side had done little to confound popular opinion when they went down 4-1 to Arsenal on the campaign’s opening day.

And when Mark Hudson headed in after nine minutes for Palace, the Toffees appeared poised for a long afternoon under Croydon’s baking skies.

Salvation arrived in the shape of home goalkeeper Julian Speroni, charging from his goal in an attempt to make right his poor clearance, but only succeeding in scything down Kevin Campbell.

Thomas Gravesen nervelessly rolled home the resultant penalty and, 17 minutes after half-time, the Dane sublimely curled the ball past the helpless Speroni from 20 yards.

Gary Naysmith’s 71st-minute dismissal for collecting his second caution appeared to be the cue for a grandstand finish from the hosts.

Moyes’ team, though, simply drew the sting from an increasingly desperate Palace, before Marcus Bent put the seal on a terrific victory, racing on to Gravesen’s through ball to score his first goal for the Club following a summer move from Ipswich Town.

Everton won seven and drew two of their next 10 Premier League games and ultimately finished the season in fourth spot, which brings us to…

Everton 4-0 Crystal Palace, 10 April 2005

The Toffees’ hopes of booking a Champions League berth had slipped into the balance following three straight defeats, when relegation-threatened Palace came to Goodison late in the campaign.

Everton were fourth and clinging to a one-point advantage over Liverpool, who had crashed to a last-minute defeat at Manchester City the previous day.

But Mikel Arteta settled any home nerves when he bent a seventh-minute free-kick in to the Park End net.

And it was Tim Cahill who banished Everton butterflies entirely when he struck twice in seven minutes shortly after the interval – the first a rasping volley, the second a trademark, close-range header following Kevin Kilbane’s run and cross.

That cleared the stage for James Vaughan to come on and become the Toffees’ youngest player and, 13 minutes later, youngest scorer to crown a heady day in the Merseyside sun.

Three days later Everton recorded a rip-roaring 1-0 victory over Manchester United to edge ever nearer Champions League qualification.

Related Tags

Season Ticket, Lounge or We Are Everton Member?

Login then click HERE to check out the latest exclusive content, including player features, classic highlights, interviews and more.


View More