James McCarthy has paid tribute to Giovanni Trapattoni after it was confirmed that the Italian had left his position as manager of the Republic of Ireland.
McCarthy, who was unveiled as an Everton player at a press conference on Wednesday lunchtime, admitted he was ‘gutted’ to discover that the 74-year-old was no longer occupying the role he took up in 2008.
The midfielder had become a regular pick under the veteran boss after making his international debut against Brazil in 2010.
McCarthy said: “He stuck by me, gave me my chance and has been good for my career, so I’m disappointed to see him go. I’m gutted, to be honest.
“It’s just one of those things. The FAI have had a meeting today and decided it’s the time for him to go. Like I say, it’s disappointing because the players enjoyed working with him.”
McCarthy played the full 90 minutes in the Republic’s World Cup qualifying defeats to Sweden and Austria in recent days – results which effectively sealed Trapattoni’s fate.
The 22-year-old explained how the former AC Milan, Bayern Munich and Benfica boss had helped pave the way for his move to the Blues by allowing vital extra time to complete his deal last Monday before he linked-up with his international colleagues the following day.
McCarthy continued: “When I spoke to him last week it said it was no bother to report on the Tuesday morning first thing.
“He said hopefully everything would work out [with the move to Everton] and thankfully it did. I’m grateful that he allowed that to happen.”
McCarthy and fellow summer signing Gareth Barry could make their Blues debut in Everton's next home fixture against Chelsea this weekend.
Tickets for the visit of the Jose Mourinho's men are now on general sale. Click here to secure your seat. To find out more about corporate hospitality for this fixture or to buy online, please click here.