Manager David Moyes is poised to enter the transfer market in
search of a temporary replacement for youngster Wayne Rooney.
The teenage hot-shot is almost certainly ruled out of the
opening games of the new Premiership campaign after damaging ankle
ligaments during last Saturday' pre-season friendly victory
With Rooney sidelined and Duncan Ferguson suspended for the
first three matches of the new season it leaves Moyes with a front
two of Kevin Campbell and Tomasz Radzinski plus Nick Chadwick in
The Blues Boss is not 100 per cent comfortable with that level
of strength in depth and he may look at signing a new striker
temporarily or on a permanent basis in the coming weeks.
"At this time I may need to go into the market for a
centre-forward, whether it will be on-loan or to buy," Moyes
told evertonfc.com from the Blues' St Andrews training
"We have Duncan suspended for the first three games and
with Wayne looking likely to miss a couple of games we are down to
Kevin, Tomasz and Nick
"I am not too sure that is strong enough for Everton and
the start of the new season."
Brian McBride, who had a successful spell on-loan at Goodison
earlier this year, is a name that continually crops up when there
is any mention of a striker shortage at Everton.
But he is under contract to the MLS and due to him not being
available on a loan deal would cost an estimated £500,000 - a
fee Moyes was reluctant to pay when his original loan spell ended
As well as searching for striking cover attempts to bolster the
midfield are continuing and the Goodison Chief told ToffeeTalk last
night that he still hoped to introduce two or three new faces
before August 16.