Next Match:

Ticket Info

v Swansea City

Tuesday 23 September K.O. 19:45



White Hart Lane | 23rd October 2010 12:45

Tottenham v Everton

Everton's unbeaten Premier League run has been extended to four games courtesy of a creditable draw at White Hart Lane.

Leighton Baines' exquisite first-half free-kick secured a point, with Rafael van der Vaart netting the equaliser that meant it wasn't a third consecutive victory for Everton.

Deprived of the services of a succession of midfielders in recent weeks - Mikel Arteta was added to the list for this encounter. A hamstring injury meant he joined Jack Rodwell, Marouane Fellaini and Leon Osman on the sidelines.

But David Moyes' reshaped midfield, which included the fit-again Steven Pienaar, contested this tight encounter valiantly.

The draw maintains Everton's climb up the Premier League table after a slow start to the campaign.

And it was a fair result, with the visitors edging the opening half and the home side having the better of it after the break.

Indeed, Heurelho Gomes was the first keeper tested, diving to his right to gather a Tim Cahill effort from distance on 10 minutes.

By way of response, a similar effort from a similar distance by Luka Modric four minutes later provided a similar outcome - Tim Howard getting down well to claw the ball behind.

The Blues opened the scoring two minutes later, courtesy of a sweet free-kick from Leighton Baines.

Baines Jagielka celebrateLeighton Baines is congratulated on his strike by Phil Jagielka

The left-back struck from 20 yards with a curling effort after Yakubu's quick turn forced Younes Kaboul into a foul.

But the lead lasted only three minutes. A sweeping cross from the right evaded Howard's attempt to intercept it. Peter Crouch was on hand beyond the far post to smuggle the ball across the face of goal leaving Rafael van der Vaart with the simplest of tap-ins. It was the first goal the side had conceded in 333 minutes of Premier League football.

Modric fired wide, Baines sent a free-kick over the bar and Crouch sent a header into the arms of Howard as the contest ebbed and flowed.

Redknapp made a change at the break, replacing Wilson Palacios with Sandro.

The home side had the better of the second period in terms of chances, with Crouch skipping through and dragging a shot wide and twice firing tamely at Howard when in good positions.

With a third of the contest remaining, the Blues' chief made his first change. Louis Saha returned to action after an extended spell on the sidelines with a calf problem to replace of Yakubu, who departed the field hobbling after picking up a knock.

In terms of chances, Everton were restricted to shots from distance, with Pienaar and Cahill going closest with two decent efforts that flashed wide of the target.

With 13 minutes left on the clock Tony Hibbert, fresh from penning a new long-term contract, entered the fray in place of John Heitinga.

John HeitingaJohn Heitinga chats to the referee

It meant a move into midfield for skipper Phil Neville, with Hibbert taking up his customary right-back role. The final change for the Blues came minutes later - Jermaine Beckford coming on for Seamus Coleman as the visitors went in search of the three points.

of the three subs, Hibbert was the least likely to be the man to find a winner. But it was he who managed the last effort on goal for the Blues - attempting an audacious volley seconds before the end of normal time.

Had it gone in, a riot would have been fully justified.



Everton Season Ticket holders can list their seat for any Barclays Premier League game that they can’t attend on StubHub, the Official Ticket Marketplace

Find out more
Match Highlights Archive

Match Highlights Archive

Watch highlights from classic and recent Everton games on evertontv.

Find out more
2014/15 Season Tickets

2014/15 Season Tickets

All the information you could need about securing your seat at Goodison.

Find out more

This site uses cookies. Click here to learn more.