Next Match:

Ticket Info

v Crystal Palace

Sunday 21 September K.O. 16:00



The Walkers Stadium | 20th March 2004 15:00

Leicester 20/03/2004 15:00

Everton had Duncan Ferguson sent-off and were denied three points by an equalising goal in the last ten seconds against Leicester City at the Walkers Stadium.

Wayne Rooney had given Everton the lead but Marcus Bent headed a leveller in the 92nd minute.

In the type of blustery conditions that forced a few postponements around the country, this was never likely to be a classic

Alessandro Pistone forced Ian Walker into an early save and Wayne Rooney fired wildly over after collecting a Duncan Ferguson knock-down.

Duncan Ferguson is sent off at Leicester City on Saturday afternoon

The swirling wind made cohesive football an impossibility with one half of the pitch resembling a litter-strewn city centre street as debris blew down from the stands.

Unsurprisingly, it was a scrappy affair and James McFadden was the first to be cautioned in the 20th minute for what can best be described as a 'typical winger's tackle' on Muzzy Izzet.

In the 22nd minute, the returning Paul Dickov sent a shot fizzing past Nigel Martyn's right post and then Stefan Freund stabbed a close range effort wide.

The Foxes had the ball in the net after half an hour but 'scorer' Marcus Bent was adjudged to have impeded Martyn when he bundled the ball over the line and the effort was ruled out.

Ferguson's first booking in the 38th minute was for one too many fouls for Mr Knight's liking and within three minutes he was off.

Wayne Rooney places the ball past Ian Walker for the opening goal of the game.

The Scot was shown a second yellow after a tangle with Steffen Freund and then reacted angrily after seeing red by grappling with the German midfielder, which sparked an unseemly brawl near the half-way line.

Sandwiched in between Ferguson's bookings was one for Thomas Gravesen.

The wind was even stronger after the break but Mr Knight carried on waving cards regardless.

On 72, Tomasz Radzinski, a half-time replacement for McFadden, was fouled by Izzet and then booked by the referee before Everton took the free-kick!

Within 60 seconds, Rooney became the 5th player to have his name scribbled in the notebook but the 18-year old shrugged it off to ram home the opening goal with fifteen minutes to go.

Alan Stubbs battles with Paul Dickov during the 1-1 draw.

The strike was exceedingly similar to the winner he scored against Portsmouth as he made his own space in the box from a Radzinski feed and powered home a low shot.

The Toffees should have scored again in the 84th minute when a brilliant and powerful run by Gravesen took him to the edge of the Leicester box and as he was challenged the ball ran for Rooney who slipped it on to Radzinski.

The Canadian international, whose pace troubled the home rearguard throughout the second period, then placed a weak shot straight at Walker.

Deep into stoppage time, Leicester won a corner after a fabulous save from Martyn denied Scimeca.

All Everton had to do was defend the corner and a third straight victory was in the bag but Marcus Bent climbed highest inside the box and his header squeezed inside the post.

It was desperately disappointing for the Toffees who had worked so hard to establish and then maintain the lead and Mr Knight blew the final whistle as soon as the game restarted.



Everton Season Ticket holders can list their seat for any Barclays Premier League game that they can’t attend on StubHub, the Official Ticket Marketplace

Find out more
Match Highlights Archive

Match Highlights Archive

Watch highlights from classic and recent Everton games on evertontv.

Find out more
2014/15 Season Tickets

2014/15 Season Tickets

All the information you could need about securing your seat at Goodison.

Find out more

This site uses cookies. Click here to learn more.