The Grounds of Everton
Stories of the Era
Did You Know?
During World War One, Goodison hosted a baseball game between the New York Giants and Chicago Whitesox.
Goodison was the first ground in England to have dug-outs after the club copied an idea from Aberdeen who they visited for a pre-season friendly in the 1930's.
With the completion of the Gwladys Street Stand in 1938, Goodison was the only British football ground to have double-decker stands on all sides.
Goodison was the first ground in the country to install undersoil heating.
The famous stadium has staged more top flight games than any other ground in England.
Everton's record attendance of 78,299 came against Liverpool on 18 September 1948, at Goodison.
Goodison is the only league ground in the country to have hosted a World Cup semi-final (in 1966). Indeed, during the tournament, greats such as Pele, Eusebio and Yashin graced the famous turf.
During its history, Goodison has hosted many FA Cup semi-finals and finals.
Goodison has staged many important international matches, including England's first ever defeat on home soil, when the Republic of Ireland beat them 2-0 in September 1949.
Goodison is the only ground in the world to have a church (St. Luke the Evangelist) in a corner of the stadium.