The Grounds of Everton
Stories of the Era
Upon arrival at Goodison, the first jobs were to level the land, provide drainage and build stands to accommodate up to 50,000 spectators.
Two uncovered stands were constructed, each accommodating 4,000 and a covered stand on the Goodison Road side of the ground was built which held 3,000. On its completion in 1892 it was the finest ground in the country, boasting hot-water boilers, large double baths, a referee's changing room and even a press stand!
Lord Kinnaird and Frederick Wall, both FA officials, officially opened Goodison Park on 24 August 1892. 12,000 people came to the opening ceremony.
The first game at Goodison was a friendly between Everton and Bolton Wanderers.
A press report stated that 'it appears to be one of the finest and most complete grounds in the kingdom' and Goodison was chosen as the venue for the Bolton Wanderers - Notts County FA Cup Final of 1894.
The rest, as they say, is history - but here's a few snippets of information about Goodison Park.