home team
away team
Thursday 21 July 2016, 19:45
  • 5
  • 10
  • 15
  • 20
  • 25
  • 30
  • 35
  • 40
  • 45
  • 50
  • 55
  • 60
  • 65
  • 70
  • 75
  • 80
  • 85
  • 90
  • Espanyol
  • Everton U23
Min By Min

Starting XI - Espanyol: Will appear here shortly Everton U23: Walsh, Gray, Jones, Robinson, Feeney, Foulds, Baningime, Charsley, Henen, Evans, Dyson

  • Gray
  • Robinson
  • Foulds
  • Jones
  • Walsh
  • Baningime
  • Charsley
  • Dyson
  • Evans
  • Henen
  • Feeney
Espanyol Everton U23
1 Gray
2 Jones
3 Robinson
4 Walsh (c)
5 Feeney
6 Foulds
7 Charsley
8 Baningime
10 Evans
11 Dyson
12 Henen
13 Griffiths
14 Courtney Duffus
15 Kiersey
16 Yarney
17 Broadhead
18 Holland

Everton Under-21s progressed to the SuperCupNI final as a result of a 1-0 victory over RCD Espanyol on Thursday evening.

The young Blues faced the Spanish side in the Under-21 bracket of the tournament formerly known as the Milk Cup, with Coleraine Showgrounds being the host venue.

And despite going down to 10 men early in the second half, David Unsworth’s side were able to hold on to the lead earned by Harry Charsley’s strike moments before.

The Toffees will now face Celtic at Ballymena Showgrounds on Saturday, 4.30pm kick-off.

After sudden heavy rainfall before kick-off, Everton started the contest brightly and created the better chances. Calum Dyson and David Henen both saw shots flash wide before Charsley’s header was pushed away by the Espanyol goalkeeper.

The Spanish side grew into the game and proved to be a tough test in the Blues’ second pre-season fixture. Louis Gray looked comfortable between the sticks, commanding his area well and dealing with numerous swinging crosses and strikes from distance.

The only goal of the game came on 51 minutes when midfielder Charsley found himself one-on-one with the keeper and slotted in calmly low and inside of the near post.

Captain Liam Walsh was shown a straight red swiftly after following a foul on the halfway line and Espanyol looked to take advantage.

Yet the Blues defended resolutely and as Unsworth turned to his bench to offer more of his squad game time, victory was within reach.

A stunning point-blank save from Gray and equally brave blocks from Beni Baningime and Morgan Feeney in injury time ensured they would progress to the final.