home team
away team
Wednesday 15 July 2015, 11:00
  • 5
  • 10
  • 15
  • 20
  • 25
  • 30
  • 35
  • 40
  • 45
  • 50
  • 55
  • 60
  • 65
  • 70
  • 75
  • 80
  • 85
  • 90
  • Stoke City
  • Everton
Everton are through to the final of the Barclays Asia Trophy after defeating Stoke City 5-4 on penalties after a goalless draw at the Singapore National Stadium.

Goalkeeper Tim Howard made the vital shootout save from Marco van Ginkel as the Blues netted all five of their spot-kicks.

In the end it was Phil Jagielka who stepped up to fire home the winning penalty - Roberto Martinez's men having earlier been indebted to their skipper for a fine first-half tackle on Marko Arnautovic.

The Toffees will now face Arsenal or a Singpore XI in the same venue on Saturday.

Stoke Stones Lukaku 500

Martinez made four changes from the starting line-up that kicked off pre-season at Swindon Town last weekend.

Romelu Lukaku, Kevin Mirallas, Gareth Barry and Tony Hibbert were drafted in for starts, with Arouna Kone, Gerard Deulofeu, Seamus Coleman and Steven Naismith dropping to the bench.

And it was one, Mirallas - looking to build on the double he bagged off the bench in Wiltshire - who had the Blues' first chance just 80 seconds in.

The winger picked up possession on the edge of the box, wrong-footed his marker but dragged his effort straight at goalkeeper Jakob Haugaard.

Brendan Galloway was incensed not to be given a free-kick deep inside the Stoke half soon after, his pleas ignored by Premier League referee Craig Pawson.

Mirallas was unfortunate to see his cross evade three Blue shirts after bursting past Dionatan Teixeria as Everton continued to apply pressure, before a water break was called for on 25 minutes.

The breather - required due to the intense humidity as much as the heat - was perhaps a timely one for Jagielka. Because, just three minutes after the restart the Everton skipper mustered the energy to lunge into a last-ditch tackle and thwart forward Arnautovic when he looked destined to capitalise on a slip from Hibbert and steer Stoke ahead.

There was a slight scare from Steven Pienaar as he needed treatment on the pitch after going down soon after but the South African was okay to continue and so nearly laid on the opener in the dying moments of the first half.

Stoke Gareth Barry 500

His perfectly-weighted through ball split the Potters' defence and ran perfectly for Lukaku - only for the big Belgian to be denied by a lineman's flag after rounding Haugaard and tapping in to an empty net. If Jagielka's tackle had been a let off for Everton, replays suggested this was Stoke's.

Half-time brought five Everton changes as Osman, Cleverley, Stones, Deulofeu and Naismith entered the frey.

From the kick off, Naismith so nearly got his name on the scoresheet but instead pulled a fine save from Haugaard, before another effort from Osman struck a leg and drifted away to safety.

On 61 minutes, Tim Howard came to the rescue to deny Stephen Ireland from close range and would have seen his work rewarded handsomely had Deulofeu's side-footed attempt had the direction to find the bottom corner at the end of the ensuing counter-attack.

Lukaku was again halted by an offside flag before the end and Naismith went close.

The clinical finishing, however, was saved for the shootout. With no extra-time played in the Asia Trophy it went straight to spot-kicks and Lukaku, Cleverley, Stones, Deulofeu and Jagielka ensured it was Everton's day.

Everton: Howard, Hibbert (Stones 46), Galloway, Jagielka, Browning, Barry (Cleverley 46), McCarthy (Kone 80), Pienaar (Deulofeu 46), Barkley (Osman 46), Mirallas (Naismith 46), Lukaku. (Subs not used: Joel, Garbutt, Coleman, Williams, Robinson, Kenny).