by Matthew Gamble @Everton

Stadium Tour Experience

2011 opened with a fixture most Evertonians will have hoped to forget within moments of the final whistle.

A crushing 2-0 defeat to Stoke City on a bitterly cold New Year's Day at the Britannia Stadium proved an unjust result for Everton - the Blues unable to capitalise on promising spells of possession.

David Moyes called for an instant reply from his men and they provided just that only two minutes into their next outing, when Harry Redknapp's Tottenham came to town four days later.

Louis Saha wasted no time in hitting the net from 25-yards but it was Seamus Coleman who secured victory over the in-form North London club with his second-half strike.

That much-needed home win proved the catalyst for the Blues to remain undefeated for the rest of January.

As the Premier League took a break for FA Cup third round fixtures, Everton were handed a trip to Scunthorpe United's Glanford Park.

Scunthorpe - Teams Out

Saha again was the man to open the scoring within the first few seconds of the tie, and prompted a five-goal rout over their Championship opponents. Beckford, Coleman, Fellaini and Baines all followed in the Frenchman's footsteps, and a fourth round tie with Chelsea was next to come. 

With progression to the fourth round of the Cup secured, the Toffees returned home to prepare for the 215th Merseyside derby.

Evertonians snapped up the tickets for the Anfield clash quickly and as always the occasion didn't disappoint.

The first half belonged to Liverpool though as Raul Meireles' opener saw the Reds head in with the half-time advantage. 

But in true character Everton fought their way in front within six minutes of the restart through goals from Sylvain Distin and Jermaine Beckford. Dirk Kuyt's penalty levelled but neither side could find a winner as the two battled hard until the final whistle.

The Blues' below-par home form continued in their next outing as they had to rely on Marouane Fellaini's late, late leveller to salvage a point in a 2-2 draw with West Ham United. 

The final weekend of the month provided a dramatic conclusion as Everton's FA Cup campaign remained in the balance after a 1-1 draw with Chelsea.

Everton looked to be heading straight through to the fifth round draw when Louis Saha's header found the net just after the hour mark, but Salomon Kalou found an equaliser with 15 minutes left on the clock.

And try as they might, the men from Goodison Park couldn't find the killer blow to earn the win their efforts deserved, and the sides had to meet again in February.